Power to garden shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AndyJam3, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

No one is making anything up.

2. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

As many as you will like. You will never be right.

As many as you like, you will never be able to prove that you are right.

As many as you like, you will always be misleading people asking for help.

As many as you like, you will never be competent to advise people.

As many as you like, until the site can no longer avoid realising that you are knowingly and deliberately telling people things which are untrue.

And of course there is no point in asking you to back that up with proof, is there, because you do not have a scooby what's between the covers of this

upload_2021-2-22_23-52-30.jpeg

do you.

How dare you try to give people advice when you are so unable to do it properly?

3. Banallsheds

You are dangerous giving people wrong advice.
    You cannot take a spur off a spur. To do so is liable to overload the 2.5mm cable feeding the spur. If you have that book you pictured I suggest you read it and see for yourself.

4. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Appendix 15.
    Red book.(may have changed with new book)
    says:
    Spur using a FCU not connected directly to the ring.
    The number of sockets connected to a FCU is dependent on the load characteristics having taken diversity into account.(shows 2 double sockets in the diagram)

So surely it would be perfectly safe to put another FCU (3A) at end of line protecting a light ?
    (Not commenting on this spur to shed problem)
    jim

5. Banallsheds

We are not talking about a FCU protected spur. We are talking about a spur directly off a ring.

6. Nomenklatura

So, this is what he asked if he could do.

And it's what you said, and have continued to say,was not allowed

Your latest attempt to justify that is:

So you're saying that this would be OK:

upload_2021-2-23_18-28-7.jpeg

but this would overload the spur cable:

upload_2021-2-23_18-31-15.jpeg

Could you please show the calculations which you did for the loading of the cable which indicate that an extra 80-odd mA would overload it.

Attached Files:

7. Banallsheds

Your last diagram is forbidden by the regs as a spur off a spur is not allowed. The socket could have two 13 amp loads and the FCU could have another 13 amp load even if at the moment it only has 83mA. 39 amps would overload the 2.5mm cable.

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I don't know how you have the nerve.

You have argued on multiple threads that it is acceptable to take numerous spurs from a single point on a ring, and that it can't overload it. Now you come with this?

You are really bad.

9. Banallsheds

You really don't understand do you? Looking at the last diagram, numerous sockets on that spur can overload the cable from the ring to the first socket. With numerous spurs from one point that cable does not exist so cannot be overloaded.

GET THIS. A spur can only have one socket or FCU (it is in the regs). A single point on a ring can have more than one spur (no reg prohibiting it).

10. Banallsheds

Welcome to this forum flameport. This forum seems more argumentative than the other one you are on.

Jwflame likes this.
  11. Nomenklatura

Except it isn't.

Not that you would be able to find that out though, as you are inadequately equipped with information. And therefore inadequately equipped to be giving advice.

Why do you think that is is acceptable to tell people things which are untrue?

Why don't you take the advice of people who know more than you?

Well on that basis nobody should ever have any circuits, because any circuit could be changed in the future to become non-compliant.

You are dangerous giving people wrong advice.
    You cannot use 6mm² cable for a 10.5kW shower, because someone might add lots of thermal insulation around it and then it would catch fire.

12. Nomenklatura

I wonder why the site is happy with the reputational damage they risk when people come here for advice and they are told things which are untrue by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

13. Banallsheds

Yes it is. How many more times, a spur off a spur is NOT allowed.

It isn't, and I don't.
    No it wouldn't. It would get hotter but unlikely to catch fire.

14. Banallsheds

So why do you do that then?

15. Nomenklatura

16. Bazza-spark

I understand perfectly. You are te one who has advocated multiple spurs from a single point.

Reg please to support your claim.

17. Bazza-spark

He frequently quotes cable sizes for clipped direct.

My concern is somebody will take his advice and burn the house down and fry their family, but SF seem to be happy to allow his nonsense.

18. Nomenklatura

I've asked him that a number of times.

He seems to think that the way to respond is to refuse to do it and to repeat the falsehood.

19. Bazza-spark

He never does quote regs, he can't.

20. Banallsheds

Because the is no reg prohibiting it, and because it is not dangerous.
    You can look it up as well as me.