Power tools... any recommendations???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Tinderstick, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

I'm a DIYer - not a pro - thinking of investing in some power tools ( jigsaw, sanders etc)

I'm on a tight budget and so looking at cost effectiveness as much as performance - which kind of puts Dewalt out of range unfortunately.

Any feedback from forum members who have used power tools from the Ryobi and Erbauer range would be greatly appreciated. Or indeed any other brand recommendations?

Thanks

2. cheltonian

cheltonian New Member

3. studpartition

studpartition New Member

Hi Tinderstick, I would agree with Cheltonian, 'green' Bosch is excellent for DIY use. I inherited a 1200W circular saw and it's given sterling service, also a belt sander,random orbital sander and light duty router. All great stuff but would not long survive day in day out heavy use. No experience of Erbauer. The newer Ryobi kit looks ok; I've used the 1050W impact drill and its pretty good also the 2050W router is a good machine when you get used to it. I suspect a lot of the Ryobi kit is 'semi-professional' so more than adequate for DIY use and has 2 yr warranty.

4. HIGHCROFT

HIGHCROFT Member

makita every time , learn't by my mistakes buying cheaper tools is false economy- had 2 erbaur items -lasted approx 6 weeks.. not continuous use..

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo tinderstick:);)

ive got the ryobi18v 5 piece kit as my backup kit
    http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=22&threadID=8593&messageID=218159#218159
    i would rate it as diy light to medium trade

now i am not suggesting you buy the 5 piece as its imcompatable with any other ryobi batteries

but if you go for the one plus set up the tools in my opinion are identical in desighn and performance

the 2 or 3 piece sets that have batteries with yellow band at the top are compatable with the one plus

so you could buy your 1 2 or 3 piece set and build up collection as money permits

i also have the 10" table saw ryobi1525 at £100 not a bad bit of kit

big all

6. Biffo

Biffo Member

if you got a platform near you they are doind the 3 piece kit for about 140 +vat good deal