Power Washer recommendation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi all

Have been using my old power washer called PowerDevil from 1990s, and it still works. But it has leaks from the main box, and also there was some oil kind of stuff coming out with the water from the lance.

Anyhow, trying to get a new one, but not sure which one would be most effective, practical and reliable. I mostly use power washer to clean patio, drive way, window frames, gardening tools, and car.

I prefer simpler ones without many different fancy functions, but powerful and reliable.
    Budget is about 50 - 150 at max. Cheers.

2. Broon

Broon Active Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Yes, I like my Nilfisk. I think I bought it from MachineMart.

5. buckeroo82

buckeroo82 New Member

+1 for Nilfisk. Mine is about 7-8 years old and still going strong. Cost me £49 from Amazon so I think I've had had my money's worth!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just had look, bought mine 2010, been very well used,cost £79 from Argos, came with various attachments, have never yet used the patio cleaner.

7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Nilfisk is a new brand for me. Never heard of it, but seems very popular. Just my ignorance with these brands.

My old PowerDevil used to be state of art technology stuff in the 1990s, but obviously it is on its last leg, as the water from the lance had what looked like some chemicals released from the inside parts of the machine, maybe some oil in the motor or leaking electric capacitors ..etc. Bad leak from the hose connector as well.

I was aware of Karcher and Titan, but Nilfisk seems serious contender in the market.
    The most important thing for me is, reasonably good performance and reliability, not into many functions and gadgets.

Will check it out. Thanks for your info everyone.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Ended up buying a Bosch Advanced 150.
    My wife didnt like the look of Nilfisk, she says they look made cheap.

She likes Bosch, so it is on our way. :)

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing cheap about Nilfisk,it's reliable, had mine eight years,very well used,nothing has fell off or broken yet unlike some Karcher models.

Heat likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have owned a Nilfisk GS80 vacuum cleaner for 22 years, still going strong, well made and reliable.

14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yeah, I was almost going for it. But I think she read some negative reviews on Nilfisk Pressure Washers in Amazon.

It sounds pretty bad actually. It goes like this ... "made of cheap plastic, looks and feel cheap. Broke down within a few days. Could not return for refund because missed 30 day return deadline. .... Worked once, and then died. blah blah ..."

15. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

that's the dead beat Karcher ones ;)

16. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Karcher have real bad reviews. Seems like Karcher have reliability issues = suddenly stop working.

17. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

They have plastic housings (and most of the propulsion parts) that do crack as soon as any dirt or cold gets to them... I suspect, they do so deliberately, as most punters will buy "star wars themed" one right away again
    I did, I had 3 of them, draw the line eventually :D

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You missed a chance to buy the best, - Nilfisk. It is the old Kew power washer brand and is top class with brilliant motor inside even the cheapest.
    You have to look after them though and protect them from frost.
    I have one of the professional Karcher older models and it has induction motor etc, so very reliable.
    Still the Nilfisk is better for cleaning cars. Really good valve

KIAB and AlvyChippy like this.
  19. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I was going to go for Nilfisk. But at last minute, everyone here opposed to my decision.

I don't believe all the reviews either = only trust 60% of the reviews.

But the Bosch seems good too. The Advanced 150 has powerful motor, and is heavy machine.

And I have Bosch hedge cutter (have been using it for last 10 years), drills and impact drivers, and chainsaw too. So, well why not, I said, and went for it.

KIAB and Heat like this.
  20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Bosch Advanced AQT150 arrived, and wow, it is the most powerful power washer I have seen. Cleaned patio and then car. It worked very smoothly.

A heavy machine weighing about 23kg. Large wheels make no problem moving about, but if you lifting it, it can be a bit of struggle.

Seems drawing huge electric current. Initially I plugged it into extension cable, and it burnt fuse in the cable. Had to connect direct to in-house mains.

AlvyChippy likes this.