Powering garden cabin via plug socket in home

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kitchentables123, Jan 24, 2022.

1. kitchentables123

kitchentables123 New Member

Previous owner has a cable running from an rcd adapter plugged in the kitchen to a two-way consumer unit in the garden cabin. There are various plug sockets in the cabin and two indoor and one outdoor light. This was intended as a temporary solution until he fitted an armoured cable directly from the main fuse box.

Inside the house I have an old style fuse box so the armoured cable can't be connected just yet. Since I want to do a major renovation in a couple years I don't want to switch to a new fuse box / consumer unit just for the sake of fitting this armoured cable and would rather do it properly as part of the bigger project.

Just wondering how safe this set up is in the meantime? Would I be able to run a pair of speakers and some music gear in the cabin? I have done this already and it worked without issue but just wondering how safe it is.

2. elecstick

elecstick Screwfix Select

The setup may or may not be safe, the resistance of the lead may impair the safe operation of fuses/mcbs. Seems like you're renovating - and that will include the garden, why not get the proper installation done now? and have you considered data/phone cabling.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have run a cable through the cat flap to charge my car many times, I am sure it is safe, and in the same way with a RCD adaptor likely your set up is also OK.

However there may be things we can't see, like with my cable through cat flap opening the door could get cable trapped.