Precision tile cutting

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Got a bit of tiling to do and have a decent straight cutter as well as a diamond wheel electric.

Problem is that a lot of my sockets are bang slap in the middle of some of the tiles and I really don't fancy doing it all with a manual saw.

Can anyone recommend something to do this job? I've been thinking of getting a reciprocating multi tool for a while. Would it be any good for this job? If so, can someone recommend a decent blade.

Alternatively, should I just get tile-blade for my jigsaw?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Active Member

Tile blade on jigsaw, as long as they're ceramic tiles, not porcelain.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

4 1/2" angle grinder with a decent blade, cutting tile on top of a sacrificial piece of ply or mdf so the blade cuts tight to the corner.

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Tile blade in a grinder as Jord mentioned. Just take it easy and accurately from the front, then finish off carefully from behind :eek:

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yeah, or drill the four corners of the cut-out first.

CGN likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough you've described my method for acquiring female company after a few pints........ ;)

kitfit1 likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Good lad : D

9. Even a 4 1/4 inch angle grinder will be too big unfortunately. The cuts I'm making will only be a couple of inches long

10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I've nibbled out slots, & cut tiles to fit around back boxs with electric tile cutter, & some with a ordinary tile cutter, just mark area to be removed,making sure it's undersized so socket will cover cut edge..
    And with a multi tool you can even cut opening in middle of tile.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. Problem is I don't have an edge to cut from... These bloody sockets are in the middle!

12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If rewiring a kitchen always workout how the tiles will go before cutting out back boxes, then you can move back boxes to make it easiest for tiling.

13. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

You can cut out a socket hole with a grinder Bianco. Just put it down flat on a bit of board, clamp it with your foot and grind away :)

14. How long should a wet cutter with a new blade take to get through 30cm of 9mm porcelain?

The DIY one I have is taking AGES and on occasion has stalled completely if I've given the slightest push forward.

Should cutters retain an abrassive edge? I've done a few inches and the edge of the (unbranded) blade has no grit on it at all.

Is this normal or have I just got a REALLY rubbish one?! (Was bought in Aldi apparently, but I'd have expected even the cheapest ***** to get through at least one tile!)

15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Porcelain tiles are much harder than ceramic tiles.

Use Rubi tile cutter, a pro model for some porcelain tiles & it found them tough going, as they were a very hard tile.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  16. fillyboy

fillyboy Active Member

The tile, not your foot.:eek:

17. Yeah, they are a bit of a nightmare, but on the plus side the cut edge looks the same as an the uncut edge...

I'm wondering whether I should hire a pro tile-cutter for the day, preferably the "over-tile" type on a rail which I would be able to use to plunge cut the socket holes

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Use a well worn down blade! As long as it cuts the depth of the tile, you can use the worn-out blade down to less than 3" diameter.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

As long as the tile cutter has enough grunt to spin the blade and keep the revs up, then just spend some dosh on a decent diamond blade

I’ve had 2 budget wet cutters, Plasplugs and now Titan. Both are fine but supplied with rubbish blades. As soon as you fit a decent blade, it will revolutionise ur cutting. Should also prevent the motor from stalling as less strain on the motor as the blade cuts the tile like a hot knife through butter

Have also made cut outs in middle of tiles. I stitch drilled holes with maybe a 3mm tile drill, then cut out section with carbide blade and multi tool. The socket faceplate overlaps the tile edge by a few mm (dependant on make and style) so mark out size of back box and cut neat to that. Can always neaten up edges or remove the odd high spot with a tile file

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Active Member

I have 2 wet tile cutters - a little plaspugs with a tiny thin blade and a bigger titan. I've used the little plasplugs for everything - including 600 sq porcelain (made a table extension that the little plasplugs drops in to). I find the very thin plasplugs blade makes for neater cuts. It is certainly a PITA to have socket cuts in the middle! - at least the socket edge covers a bit so accuracy has a little flex. I have placed a tile on top of the rotating blade to start a cut in the middle before. If I can't make a short cut I make several close together cuts in the other direction so I end up with narrow tile bits that snap off easily