Prep needed for small area of self levelling stuff?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by NikitaNorman, Jul 13, 2021.

1. NikitaNorman

NikitaNorman New Member

I need to lay a small area of self levelling compound to set up a large fish tank. Floor is very uneven/bumpy so I can't get the tank safely level using shims.

I've got fibre reinforced self levelling screed, but I'm trying to get to grips with prep!

The floor is concrete. Some smooth areas, some rough (it's very old). Cleaned and hoovered, ready to go. What do I need to do to prime it?

Also, I've sorted a wooden frame for the area. Would I need to run sealant round the edges to prevent leakage or is the self levelling screed thick enough not to worry? It's going to be around 15mm thick I think (I've got screed that can be laid up to 50mm).

2. NikitaNorman

NikitaNorman New Member

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hello :) and I really must apologise for the delay in answering your question :D

Yes to priming the concrete

SBR will do this perfectly, no need to buy other expensive primers with fancy names

Wickes sell a 1lt SBR - most other places only sell in 5lt

Dilute SBR 1-4 with water, 2 coats will be fantastic

Self leveller goes down pretty runny and as you suspect, will escape through gaps so yes, these need filling around your timber ‘form’

Can use expanding foam and trim back once set / or use caulk / ‘no nails’ type adhesive / foam rods (used for back filling gaps prior to sealing with silicone, etc / mashed potatoes / ;)

Good luck, hope project goes well

4. NikitaNorman

NikitaNorman New Member

Brilliant, thank you! I've got the 1ltr sbr from wickes, good to know it's the right stuff.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s great, a convenient size of SBR, especially when being diluted @ 1-4 !

The mashed potato as a temporary dam was a joke (bad) though

6. NikitaNorman

NikitaNorman New Member

I figured ;)

One more question if I may - once I get the compound poured, how long should I leave it before I set the tank up? It's going to be a hefty beast so I don't want to get impatient and mess it all up!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The leveller your going with will give some details about drying times and when the surface can be tiled over / walked on / etc

These details will vary from product to product and also be influenced by depth of pour and ambient temp

Are you planning on covering the self leveller with any further floor covering ?

Althoygh once set the SL looks fantastic, the vast majority of them aren’t designed as a ‘final floor finish’

They’re there to level the floor, then covered over with carpet, tiles, vinyl, etc. Although the SL sets hard, it can get damaged from localised impact as there’s nothing to spread the force and soften the impact - or even from the tank stand itself

A few SL are designed as a final floor finish, Level It HD Top is one, made by Instarmac (few others are available, but check product spec)

Just depends on your plans ?

8. NikitaNorman

NikitaNorman New Member

Originally I was just going to put the tank on top, after a coat of paint. But as the stand is home made, the underside is unlikely to be completely flat, so instead I'm thinking either a bit of carpet or a thick yoga mat to allow for any imperfections.

The stand doesn't have feet so the weight will be spread out, but still, the whole thing will weigh in excess of 500lbs once the tank is set up.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Above ideas sound the way to go -
    So either carpet, foam mat/tiles/ carpet tiles, etc over the self leveller

Hope all goes well