Prep options

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Dan67, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Dan67

Dan67 New Member

Hi all, I'm in the process of refurbing our hallway and as part of that existing (old) floor boards are coming up and I'm insulating below. My plan is then replace the subfloor with something that would give us the option to tile the hallway without any further prep when we get around to finishing the floor.

So my question is what is the best option to use for the subfloor when replacing the old floor boards (to give most options when we actually get around to decide on final floor covering)?

I'm thinking 22mm T&G No More Play glued and screwed directly to the joists (which are in decent shape at c. 400m centres on sleeper walls so with max c. 1.5m span ) - it is pricey and heavy to handle on my own but feels like the best option long term, anything else that is worth considering (e.g. chipboard with a 9mm backer board)?

Thanks
    Dan

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Water resistant 22mm tongue and groove chipboard glued and screwed to the joists. The boards are usually 600mm x 2400mm; so easy enough to handle as a one-man-job.
    The screws you use must not thread into the chipboard ... only into the joists ... so you need either to predrill every hole to provide clearance in the board or to use screws with at least the top 25mm of the shank threadless.

3. LEH

LEH Active Member

22mm T+G NMP would be great. Like you say, expensive, but it goes down in one go and then you can tile directly onto it and it's a stable substrate. Otherwise you'd want to go for chipboard or ply and then overboard with a thinner cement board.

But if you're not decided on the final covering yet, you could end up with some very expensive floor under carpet or whatever where it's not needed...

Also you need to make sure there is no 'bounce' in the joists for tiling. Firm up with noggins etc if necessary.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. Dan67

Dan67 New Member

Thanks both, much appreciated. I think I'll go with the chipboard for now and then lay down an additional backer board if we do tile, it less than half the cost of just 22mm NMP per sqm + easier to source, handle and cut etc.

In terms of a thinner cement board, apart from height build up, are there any other considerations?

5. LEH

LEH Active Member

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully, and bear in mind the dust is very bad for you, so wear a mask etc. You only need 6mm for overboarding timber floors. There is also Hardiebacker as a very similar but alternative option, so you can compare to see which is cheaper. While you can tile onto the boards directly, a lot of tilers still prefer to prime, or at least give a wipe down with a damp rag - this is just to kill the suction a bit so it doesn't dry out your tile adhesive too fast.

6. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

lay p5 22mm can tile on top if seal
    jack up the joists with a car jack and fix with joist hanges if they have play and noggins

7. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

hellow mr g hows you