Preparing and painting rusted metal shed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Mae West, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Mae West

Mae West New Member

I'm new to this so please excuse the dumbness of my questions.

My new home has a very ugly metal shed which I want to paint. The roof has a lot of superficial rust and there is also superficial rust on the doors. The rest is pretty good.
    I've spent hours online trying to buy oil-based paint which will last but can't find any other than silver or black, neither of which I want.
    It seems there is a lot of paint and primer available in US but not here. There is all kinds of advice and videos but I can't find where to buy what is advised here in UK.

I'd like to strip off the superficial rust.
    Prepare with a suitable anti-rust primer/use suitable two in one paint if available.
    Paint in a colour, maybe blue or white.
    I'd like to be sure the paint will not lift off. Paint I used in Bulgaria which was supposedly OK for metal just lifted off within a year. I'd like a proper external, metal paint which is going to adhere, not lift off, and will not require repainting for a very long time.

I don't have any equipment except a ladder and brushes so need to do all of this by hand.

Be very grateful for advice. Thanks for reading.
    Keep safe.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look at BEDEC BARN PAINT colours are available and can be mixed although limited choice.

3. Mae West

Mae West New Member

Thank you. I'm going to look into it now.

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Hammerite is the stuff to use. Loads of colours and smooth finish or hammer effect available.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes Hammerite "direct to rust" would me my choice.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Hammerite is yesterdays paint, not at all as it was pre 2010 VOC compliant plus cost may be a factor, if not look at better paints such as Rustoleum Combi Color again a costly product.....it's a rusty shed after all.

7. Mae West

Mae West New Member

Thank you for the advice and comments.

It turns out the first suggestions are not available due to companies closing over Covid19. However, the Rustoleum is available for delivery, which I need and am going to order now.

Big thank you.

8. Mae West

Mae West New Member

Yes, all of the paints are pricey but still a lot cheaper than a new shed, not to mention paying someone to help me to construct it.

Hope to have a nice new looking shed in time for visiting allowed!

Keep safe.

9. Mae West

Mae West New Member

Now I've prepared that shed and awaiting the paint delivery, I've discovered that a number of the screws are missing, which could explain why we had some water ingress in heavy rains.

I tracked them down to here: Tuindeco metal sheds have stainless steels screws and bolts and plastic washer. My screws and shed are identical to the one shown on their website. However they tell me that the pack of fixings comes with the shed and they are unable to supply the screws separately as it all comes together from Holland.

I've looked at every website I can find online but can't find anything which looks like these screws, which are apparently called 'self tapping' whatever that means.

Very grateful if someone could direct me where to buy the same or similar screw/washer/bolt sets.
    Thanks.
    Keep safe.

10. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I usually find weird and wonderful fasteners on eBay. The main problem is deciding how to describe them in the search box.

'Self tapping' means the hole for the screw is smaller than the screw, and the screw cuts (or 'taps') its own thread as you screw it in.

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

A photo of the screw will help, self tapping screws are easy to get as are self drilling screws have a look on Screwfix should be something there.

12. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select