Preparing existing floor for tiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by DIYmakesmerage, Jan 4, 2022.

1. DIYmakesmerage

DIYmakesmerage New Member

Hi everybody,

I was hoping I could get some advice by people with experience of preparing floors before tiling. I am a novice so I am pretty clueless but have been doing some research. I have purchased porcelain tiles 600x600 from Topps Tiles already.
    I am tiling my kitchen floor which is around 7 square metres. Previously, it had sheet vinyl flooring which I have removed, but I am left with a thick sticky glue that has been glued directly to what looks like SLC over the concrete floor.
    This glue is incredible stubborn to remove - I am using a scraper with fresh blades and a heat gun and I can't get it off completely it just leaves a sticky residue. Would I be able to pour over something over the glue prior to using a SLC like a primer of some sort?
    The floor isn't level and has a spot that is 10mm out over a metre long level so I will need to level this prior to tiling. Any tradesman come across this and what is the best solution?
    Many thanks
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

2 coats of SBR over the floor prior to pouring your SLC will do the job and provide a great bond between old and new

Wickes sell a 1lt SBR whilst ‘most’ other places only sell a 5lt unit

Check instructions on tub but likely dilution rate for sealing floor/priming will be 1 SBR to 5 water - so the 1lt size will give you 6lt of sealant so loads !

I’ve used SBR in similair situations to prime over both sticky bitumen and liquid DPM, prior to pouring a SLC

Good luck :)

DIYmakesmerage likes this.
  3. DIYmakesmerage

Thanks Dave - Appreciate the reply. Despite shaving off layers it's super tacky still. So I will go with a SBR over the top prior to the SLC and hope that works, I am sure it will. I can't imagine many tradesman would spent days and days trying to hack off layers of glue like this so it must be what they do!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

All will be fine with two coats of SBR over the tacky surface

Often trying to remove the glue / bitumen layer with a heat gun just makes matters worse, taking hours and hours, creating a mess, stink and getting nowhere fast !

No need to remove - really not, just a waste of your time and effort and no real benefit either

If in doubt, look up the company behind what ever SBR you buy and most will have a tech help line to call/email and check what I’ve said with them

I’m sure that any details offered will be in-line with mine :)

5. DIYmakesmerage

Thanks Dave - That's a great help. I've never done this before so it's all a steep learning curve. You're completely correct about removing the glue, it is taking me an age and I am using fresh blades all the time on the scraper. If I can pour SBR over it then that would be amazing. I did find a product online called Mapei Eco Prim Grip that looks to be described as OK for going over old adhesive ! Not sure if that's for sticky / tacky vinyl glue but I would have thought so.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The Mapei Eco Prime will work for sure, as will a whole host of other branded tile type primers

Mapei products are superb, often recommended to use all same brand products for one job at each stage so certainly can go with this

SBR is a genera sealer, dust proofer, water proofer, strength improver for concrete mixes and more and is sold under a range of brand makes

SBR will certainly do the job, I used Everbuild brand for sealing over a liquid DPM prior to pouring SLC

It’s your choice DIY !

7. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

I would recommend the use of a SBR grit primer over existing adhesives.

Tilemaster Prime Grip or Kerakoll Keragrip Eco.
    But as mentioned above speak to technical department beforehand and they will advise you of the correct method and materials needed.