Preparing peeling emulsion walls for wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lydiapenny, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Lydiapenny

Lydiapenny New Member

hi
    we have emulsion walls that are peeling and we want to wallpaper them, what is the best way to treat them before we wallpaper to stop the paper from coming away

2. Will Roberts

Will Roberts New Member

I had a similar issue but with painting the walls. I used a primer paint then PAINTED over that... I can't see why I shouldn't be any different for wallpaper Good luck though

3. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

From a previous job I did, scrape of as much of the peeling paint as possible, sand then give a coat of Zinsser Peel Stop

Will Roberts and Astramax like this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

The above may well work but depends how many layers of emuslion has been lashed over the wall and what type of paper ur going with

When you remove areas of peeling paint, the edge around the firm paint may well show through the wallpaper once dried

Probably won’t see it when first putting up the paper but as it dries, it shrinks slightly and tightens up

If there’s noticeable edges to the paint, the paper may shrink back into these patches and look horrendous

Depends to a degree on type of paper ur considering. Very thin paper I wouldn’t risk it, even light weight lining paper, say 800 grade may show up paint edges

If your using an embossed paper then not an issue, or consider lining paper, minimum 1400 grade

All depends though on condition of wall. Where the paint is peeling, is it going back to plaster or further layers of paint ?