Preparing Walls For Skimming...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by slicker55, Jul 9, 2017.

1. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

The plasterboard studded walls in our house was wallpapered by the previous occupant.

We are in the process of removing the wallpaper because we want to go with painted walls and plan to have them re-skimmed as we are aiming for a quality finish.

We have discovered a patchy layer of emulsion paint underneath the wallpaper.

This emulsion paint comes off quite easily with steam and a Harris scraper.

Should we take the time to remove all this as well so that the new plaster can be applied directly onto the original plaster or will a professional plasterer say this extra work was unnecessary?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the walls are in a fairly good condition why not prepare and line walls with a good quality 1200 grade lining paper, lot less mess and agro. ;)

3. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

... because we don't want to see any lines - just lovely smooth painted walls

But, your response is very much appreciated

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Done correctly lines should not be a problem! :)

5. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

did you mean, use the lining paper and then paint or for the skim to go on top?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Who is this person who skims lining paper? :D.....................Emulsion paint on top of the lining paper.:)

7. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

thought so... (just checking)... LOL
    but surely, the joins will be visible albeit maybe only if you look close?

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If emulsion is sound leave. If it's not then remove if it comes off easy. If I skim naff surfaces I chip and scratch up surface back to good for a good key for plastering, then seal ready to skim.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

2 weeks ago I repainted 2 rooms and a stairwell that I lined 7 years ago, a new fireplace had been fitted so part relining on one wall was required, had a job to find the joins before and after redecorating.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best leave any pre work to the plasterer, would you agree Wayners?

Wayners likes this.
  11. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

Thanks Wayners, you'll be pleased to hear that my wife concurs with you!
    Just gotta get her 'Harris Scraper' trained now LOL

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. Leave to the whoever is going to plaster to prep it. Should talk through what needs doing when quoting. I use a wood saw blade and drag across lines to get a good key. Other ways of doing it though.

13. slicker55

slicker55 New Member

OK, will do..