Pressed steel roofing leak

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alan bell, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

Having problems with the roof on my storage units, they are pressed steel panels secured with self tapping roofing screws that have a rubber washer to hopefully seal the hole. my problem is i have quite a few leaks from these fixings. is there a remedy ie: paint on sealant etc.. thanks in advance..

2. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Don't know about any sealants etc, probably are some around but, i do know that if the sheet screws are under or over tightened the washer can sometimes not seal
    Is it new, can you replace the offending screws ?

Alan bell likes this.
  3. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

Thanks b4xtr its fairly new. I've seen the odd screw thats not gone in straight and replaced it. the trouble is there's to many to go round and check them all, it looks like I may have to dab some sealant on everyone, just not sure which sealant would be best..

4. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

I think it must be quite unusual to have leaking sheet screws, if you've got a lot then perhaps they've not been put in too well

What about this https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gutter-sealant-black-310ml/67521
    lots of reviews or lead mate, there's actually quite a few roof sealants on screwfix
    Hope you get it sorted

Alan bell likes this.
  5. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

If I counted the screws it would probably be in the thousands, they're not all failing just the odd few but i thought of treating all of them just to be sure. may look for a paint on sealant which should be quicker to apply..