Pressure treated timber

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by eastybeasty, Oct 1, 2017.

1. eastybeasty

eastybeasty New Member

Hi

This is probably an easy one for someone with more experience than me to answer. Does pressure treated timber need to be painted or stained or does that not make any difference to its longevity? Just wondering as I've recently got a pressure treated garden fence. I've done one side of it with Ronseal one coat Fence Life but not sure if i need to do the other side or not. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Advice would be to let the fence weather for at least 3 months prior to applying any further treatment as adhesion of any paint /fence preservative will have an adhesion problem over the treated surface and will begin to fail within 6 months. Sorry the truth hurts! :eek:

3. eastybeasty

eastybeasty New Member

:O i hadnt realised this! thanks for the advice. Wish i'd asked before i started! In your opinion is it worth treating the other side? I'll leave it until the better weather next year now if i have to do the other side. thanks for replying.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Leave it would be good advice.