Preventing Uplift on Acrylic Shower Tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimbo, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Got a 1200xx800mm acrylic tray, which is on an integrated steel frame with adjustable feet. Have got in position and levelled with the feet easy enough.

However, the feet are not right at a the very corners, therefore when weight is put on the very side (stepping in for example) there is uplift at the other side.

I haven't yet siliconed it to the wall - wondering if that is enough, once tiled down to it as well. Was going to leave 5mm between it and the tiles to get a decent bead of mastic.

BTW the instructions don't say anything other than level it with the feet.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Simply don’t buy acrylic trays

TheMorg likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They’re not great, and a pain to fit, but have done a couple over the years.

Get all the feet level on a solid base and lock them up. Mark the floor where the feet go. When it’s ready to fit, put a few good blobs of no nails to coincide with the feet, silicon sides of tray and get into position.
    5mm is too much of a gap for silicon. 2-3mm is adequate.

Jimbo likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Build timber frame to help I thought? Need to be able to stand corner to corner shifting your weight and it not move..

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’m guessing it’s the one with the built in skirt and a metal frame.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Yes exactly that.

Maybe the answer is to plane it a little so the skirts are all completely flat against the floor then adjust the feet to take the spring out the middle. Currently it's slightly proud on the side in question due to the some variation in height of the existing concrete screed in this area.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

This helped, thank you.

I couldn't do this as the unit is constructed as a sandwich and the corners and sides under it slope down to the skirt unfortunately.