Preventing wood stain bleed through

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by HelenW, Jul 30, 2021.

1. HelenW

HelenW New Member

I'm currently renovating a house and need to paint the woodwork on the stairs (newels, spindles, etc.). The wood was stained with a dark cedar (red-brown) woodstain some years ago and I've tried undercoat today but the stain has come straight through... I'm assuming that's what it is anyway, it's a large yellow mark following the grain of the wood. I'm happy to strip this off and start again, but ideally need a 'barrier' to prevent it happening again... any experience of this and process or product recommendations?? Cheers... Helen

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Zinsser BIN and apply with brush and mini roller. Really dries fast.
    Sometimes I use zinsser bin primer rattle cans and warm them in hot water as spray nice then

3. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I second Zinsser. Just love that paint. You can buy alternatives and they are all basically shellac based paints. Goes on really easy and produces a fantastic finish too.

4. HelenW

HelenW New Member

Thanks both. Just a quick further question: can you overpaint Zinsser?? I was planning on undercoat and satin topcoat in white - can I still do this as I definitely want a white paint finish?? If so, would standard types (I have Leyland undercoat at the moment) be OK??

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You can paint over zinsser but i often undercoat it prior to top coats with acrylic primer.