Previous owner built extension over sewer

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tantalus, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Ok so, we bought a house almost 2 years ago and have found many of the previous owner's bodge jobs.

The biggest one is that our Utility room has been built on top of the main sewer line of our row of houses (from what I can gather, it's been there at least 10 years, possibly nearer 15) and the main drainage for the Utility room is actually a soak-away. Doesn't work so well when the dishwasher and washing machine are on the go!

So, my questions are:

1) Are Welsh Water (I'm in England but Welsh Water are in charge) going to make me pull the room down if I point this out to them?
    2) If I was to install an inspection point in my utility room would it prevent the above?
    3) Is this a job I can fix myself? I'm a competent DIY plumber and can't seem to find anyone to do the bloody job, I think I should be able to do it myself... assuming I don't get overwhelmed by the smell!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

What is the lid made off is it a sealed system screwed shut or easy to pull up..and could have gases coming in the room..

3. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

It was just concreted over, had to dig a hole to find out what a different pipe was doing and found it

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Unless I'm missing something, why does the utility room use a soakaway, rather than the main sewer line that's underneath?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Chances are the extension was never applied for let alone signed off as the drainage system would never pass! :eek:......sounds fishy and smells even worse!:cool:

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Er 15 years ago it wouldn’t have required a build over agreement, would it ? ;)

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

We built an extension over a main sewer and we are in Wales. We had planning permission and had to bridge the sewer by pouring concrete either side to form supporting walls, then the main slab rested on those.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The op claims to have a soakaway for the utility room drainage......unless of course the pipe has come adrift in some way?

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The answer to your first question is NO because it predates the adoption of these sewers as Abrickie has said.

BUT they should have had BR approval and a soakaway for kitchen water wouldn't have been accepted so I think Astra is on the money and it has all been done on the qt, What you now have to do is decide if you want to sort it either properly (ie with BC & Welsh Water approval), sort it on the QT (not me guv) or live with it.

10. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Depends if it was a public sewer and therefore under the ownership of the water company or was a private sewer under the ownership of the householders ( which would have passed to the water company circa 2014)

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Even if you had the build over agreement from relevant water authority, they retain the right to dig up your floor to make repairs as necessary ! You accept this risk when signing up . Putting an inspection cover may help but does not completely mitigate the risk. More serious issue will be , if the build was outside permitted development and no planning permission was received.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  12. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Because the previous owner was an idiot and didn't think before doing things... it's how I've ended up in this mess :-/

13. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

If was definitely built on the quiet, they built it without lintels for the windows and door (getting that sorted too).

Mostly, I am worried that Welsh Water would tell us to take down the extension which would cause so many more problems as we now have our mains electric and gas running through there too.