Price for elec works

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Badger001, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

priced a job last week, which has the following works to be completed:
    move fuseboard and replace with split load 12 way, approx 15 metres
    install sub mains with switched fuse 60amp
    remove 2 x ceiling lights and replace with 2 x wall lights and chassed out to light fittings down wall
    move centre light into middle of room
    install smoke alarms up and down stairs
    install extra light on landing
    earth bonding water and gas 10mm earth
    new 16mm earth to fuseboard.
    chap had another quote for £480 is it me or does that seem really cheap to people mine was nearer £700 whats your views

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I think your £700 sounds very reasonable for that amount of work, bearing in mind that to replace a d/b and upgrade the earthing/bonding I would normally reckon between £350-£450.

3. Baby

Baby New Member

I Would say that your price is about right but your not going to make much more than your wages with all things considered, but it does depend on how much you need the work. Either way I would not do a job like that for £ 480 Its better to sit at home and not make any money than buy work and lose money. Electricians have always sold them selves short and under cut each other, I understand this is all to do with supply and demand, but electricians more than any other trade are willing to do this. The job you describe sounds about 2-3 days work plus materials, so I would probably be asking for about 850-900 pounds. Looks like I would be sitting at home that day if I was pricing against you.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

move centre light into middle of room

That'll be a hard job then?

5. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

well it wouldnt be a difficult job but the cables come from the opposite direction. :(

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I think the 'Humour' got lost in translation somewhere! :^O

7. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

no i mean all tye cables need extending :( :^O

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I was thinking more along the lines of a Centre light already being in 'The Middle' of the room by default and hence no work is required.

i.e. "Cut this 1000mm piece of wood in to 2 x 500mm pieces please mate"

Hang on I've change me mind! :O

"Cut it in half instead, yes that's better!"

;)

9. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

ok ok sine, at present the light fitting is nearest the window not in the centre of the room if that now makes sense.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You were cheap! His price is stupid. Well out of it, mate. :)

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select