Price for job...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JHC, Jun 7, 2010.

1. JHC

JHC New Member

Hi all. I've always been bad at quoting! I have a pair of patio doors to replace, plus side panels, the same size as the doors, plus the cill and all wood surrounds, into a brick wall. Overall size about 2.7m x 2m. Doors and panels will be double glazed with no small panes. What do people think is a fair price for labour - in Suffolk. And yes, I know there are a lot of variables - o, including painting, and I'll fit routed in draft excluder strips.

Cheers for any help

J

2. wuddy

wuddy Member

i would say £250 on the details youve given

3. JHC

JHC New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I think a zero on the end would be closer to the truth!

Cheers

J

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

are you talking about ripping out a 2.7m x 2m combi frame and fitting a new one and hanging 2 doors?
    as you said your no good at pricing

5. Guest

I would add a zero on as well, but I only work one day a week.

6. nigel

nigel Guest

A days work for fit, plus painting, depends on paint type and finish required could be another day or two..

7. lamps

lamps New Member

personally i would quote £400.allowing for a long day and a labourer

8. woodentop

woodentop New Member

I put in a pair of french doors with fan lights, in a new frame that I'd built earlier this year in a victorian house in London. I had a guy with me who knew what he was doing [ fitted box sash windows for a living ].It took the pair of us a long day [ ten hours ] with some repairs to the plaster work the next day. So I'd go with a long day plus labourer plus a half day on top for finishing up.

9. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I hate French doors....fitting those sashlocks with rebate kits is not my idea of fun. Last pair I fitted was in February of this year.....I couldn't feel my hands let alone anything else.....It took two of us (both experienced joiners) about about 11 hours in total with perfect 2-3mm gap all round, new transom & cill, one sashlock and rebate kit, 2 x rackbolts, 4 x hinge bolts, routed in draughtproofing to closing stile and to door stops, and some fancy espagnolette bolts to boot.

Customer was to paint them. It was a horrible job that I didn't want and so charged accordingly.