Price of Beer

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Pollowick, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is getting worse ...

What is the most expensive pint or 500 ml bottle you have found in a bar or restaurant? I have recently come across some unbelievably high prices and want to know the worst others have seen.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Saw one at £6.50 recently. Good / Bad not allowed to drink anymore :(

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Had friends, acted as guide for their few days visit in Landan... Few of them beers on a draft averaged £6.60... and we had a meal in a restaurant near Shakespeare theatre... Oh my (food apart) pint of lager £12 each...
    Not complaining no longer having to pay 5'er at my local

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bring back a home brew revival!

CGN, Baxi Boy and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very tempted to get back into home brewing.

CGN likes this.
  6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

2 pints of Batham's in my favourite pub in Bedley £6.70......................................worth every penny mmmmmmmmmmm :D

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Unless you go to a Weatherspoons, drinking out is getting crazy expensive, agreed

Restaurants have always been known to add a large mark up on drinks, be they soft drinks, wine, beer, etc

But pubs, clubs, bars, etc, really extracting the urine, some more than others granted, geographical influences also

Night out recently in London was an eye opener. Comedy club held in a trendy ‘boutique’ hotel in Shoreditch, got there early, shown up to their roof top bar for a drink and kill some time

Single G&T £14

Bottle craft beer (330ml) averaged at £7.50 bottle

Pint of non descript lager around £8.50

No table service (even though a hotel) so still have to get own drinks from bar

Turned round and walked out to the nearest pub and returned later

Still expensive in the pub, pint IPA was around £7.40

Usually try and find a Weatherspoons for a drink, their not perfect but very good pricing

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I used to homebrew my own version of 2 Dogs alcoholic lemonade as a youth.

Had some great nights in my parents garage with about 30 of us playing killer pool on a 6ft x 3ft table

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I was out in Mayfair before Christmas in a pub.

Was pleasantly surprised at the beer prices. About £4.20 a pint as I recall.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Boots used to sell a Lager home brew kit that was really great can't remember the name but something like or maybe was Tom Caxton Lager......going back 40years now! :eek:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

................just looked it is still available not from boots though.

12. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

You'd have to decide which to go for at Anazon ;)

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

ebay has a good selection, fancy having a brew of the Dark Ale!

14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Or wheat beer:)

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Alcohol free stuff I only buy one and take a few with me if I'm driving. We sometimes hop on motorway to flicks and ten pin so I have to drive. I look up what places sell then take a few with me. When I don't drive and I know its silly money, again I take my own to top up just the one I buy. Easier with spirits and nobody knows what I'm doing. People have been doing it for years though. £3.50 for a becks blue is silly imo.. One place was £4... I ain't drinking that all night as could easily down 4+... £12 glass of wine at Carluccio's was my biggest hit. Its nothing really as people spend way more than that but not me

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Saw one at £6.50 recently.

I pay that for a bottle of wine.
    Much better value.

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

'Spoons ain't as cheap as they use to be. I read that the takings have gone down since Tim Martin decided to do a tour of his pubs promoting remain. Leave politics out of drinking.

18. MrA

MrA Member

When Hull City made the FA cup final a couple of years ago I managed to get a couple of tickets for me and my son. We visited a pub near Wembley and ordered two pints of Carling, bog standard wallabrawonga.
    "£11-50." declared the barkeep
    "I only want two pints!" was my reply.... There may have been a couple of expletives omitted.

We'll end up like Scandinavia, social engineering though pricing, taking away choice through tax. Alcohol, cigarettes and soon to be fast food. Are rubber johnnys taxed?

longboat and Jord86 like this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably, always found them way to long for me so I cut the end off! :oops:

gadget man, Jord86 and MrA like this.
  20. MrA

MrA Member

Good job the old fellah wasn't too long otherwise you'd be forced to cut that end off.

gadget man and Astramax like this.