Price of Beer

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Pollowick, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I do with my son. He pointed out how low cost it was - except it doesn't factor in any equivalent labour charge.

2. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I met my son in a bar in Kings Cross station. I said buy a couple of beers for us while I pop to the loo - I'll pay. £13.50 each for a bottle of some special wheat beer! I think it was a half pint too for that.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Want to try Muntons Hand Crafted - Old Conkerwood brew, very dark, lovely ale.

And it's available locally,I know were I'm going tomorrow.:)

https://www.brewbitz.com/b/106-muntons-hand-crafted-old-conkerwood.html

And Woodfordes Norfolk Nog, superb dark beer, which I use to brew back in the 90's is still available today.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Astramax likes this.
  4. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

8304DDE6-81D6-4911-8B0D-4757D0B1E276.jpeg My local Spoons now stocks this only £1.80 a bottle a lovely drink, good ole Tim :)

KIAB, longboat, CGN and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Bunch of cheapskates - the lot of you!

There is a bar at Kings Cross with some speciality beers - they start around £40 for a 500ml bottle at 8.5% and the top of the range is around £250 yes, two hundred and fifty pounds. Lucking for me I have a supply at home with about 10 of the £250 and 30 or so at £40 to £50.

6. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Yes I remember well! Boots made their own brand kits,and they were dead good! In those days,over 20 years ago,it was about 10p a pint! Woodfords is a great kit today,but costs 60-70p a pint.

Astramax likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

London basement. 2 bottles of Becks(which is rubbish)...£8.50 a bottle!

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth though :p

KIAB and dinkydo like this.
  9. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Where can I get a crate of these ?

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I can do you a case of the cheaper ones - say £30 bottle.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's greedy, I'll beat that @ £29.99 a bottle.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My mate's getting Guinness for £2.55 a pint in Whitley Bay tonight.

13. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I use that to entice our garden slugs into a watery grave :)

KIAB likes this.
  14. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Talking of Guinness has anyone tried the stuff that they pour out of a can into a glass and stand the glass on a vibrating plate to give it an head ?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You are attracted to trolls aren't you Tinky Winky?

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

All the supermarkets now have a great range of beers, lagers, IPA, etc and often have deals on multi buys

Aldi has increased their beer range and has some great buys, 500ml bottles, no speacial offers but just good prices and no gimmicks

I particularly like their Banks Bitter and Medusa Ruby Ale

The so called Craft Beer explosion winds me up though to be honest ....
    Some of it’s just a con and a license for the bar/pub to charge extortionate prices whislt the punters lap it up ..... literally

Fancy labels, exotic sounding names, breweries you’ve never heard of, sediment in the bottle so you can’t even drink the whole bottle otherwise you get a mouthful of gunge, and at around £10 a pint ...... avin a larf

Nice pint of John Smiths in my local Weatherspoons is around £2.20, always good and they’ve now got Moretti on draught, also a very nice pint and previously sold by very few pubs but becoming more widely available

Anyway, it’s all down to personal taste but it’s not pleasant being ripped off whislt enjoying a tipple

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Glad I don't go down the pub, sounds like a mortgage is required to buy a round. :eek:

KIAB likes this.
  18. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

If I'd known that he could have bought me a pint..:)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He's in the Firestation, wearing a hat, deaf as a post with a Stevenage accent.

20. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Only ever been in there once, I'm not too keen on Weatherspoons. :(