Price to replace a roof tile?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shaggy, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

I want a roof tile changed to a vented tile for an extractor fan. My next door neighbour works for a builder, (has done a couple of small jobs for me and the builders he works for did out new roof last year) has offered to change the tile for me. I've got the vented tile so it's a case of going up the ladder and changing the tile.
    I asked roughly how much to change the tile and he said "it's not a hard job so about a tenner would do". Now I thought that's a bit cheap and I don't want to take advantage of him so how much would you expect to pay someone to go on your roof to change a tile?

Glen.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To call out a roofer for an hour or so you're normally looking at £60 and rising, and that's in South Wales, with you buying whatever's needed. If he asks for a tenner give it to him along with a crate of decent beer, he's really done you a favour.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I paid £100 earlier this year in Cornwall, slate roof, half hour travelling time and he provided the vented slate. If he's asking for a tenner, bung him twenty or twenty five, still a cheap job and everyone's happy.

4. N.W

N.W Member

You have got a good neighbor there,give him his tenner and a £20 tip and repay the favour when ever you get the chance

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I thought £10 was a bit cheap. If he still wants a tenner to do the job I'll give him a 300% tip;).

6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Give him £20 and buy him a curry!

7. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Reckon Jord86 has got the right idea - some people are just uncomfortable with money / valuing their time so whatever he's said in cash plus his favourite tipple keeps your conscience happy and his weekend beer stash happy, win win lol.

8. Hi Shaggy.

Your neighbour is being neighbourly, which is brilliant.

Mind you, the company he works for did also did your new roof last year, so he's also doing this as a sign of appreciation - he knows you aren't the type of neighb who just expects 'favours' or for a builder-neighb to keep patching his roof for now't!

But, as said above - and with which you agree - the answer is for you to show your appreciation in return.