Prices

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by malkie129, Jun 5, 2017.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Is it just me,or do others think that SF are becoming uncompetitive with their prices? I picked up the new catalogue today and was surprised to see that prices have risen on several items, which I already considered to be expensive. I must admit,that if I need anything, I usually compare the prices for an identical item on their competitors website, locally next door, or down the road in Devon. I usually find one,or both to be cheaper.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. Starting to use less and buying more online and at ts. Even B&Q is cheaper for the odd thing. I noticed the Yoyo discounts repeats in alternate catalogues, so I stock up at the lower price

4. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

B and q and screwfix are both owned by kingfisher group

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably blame Brexit for the price rises...:rolleyes:

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ye
    yeah. I guess we think they should be same price for goods but they are not. Don't see the Yoyo pricing at B&Q.

7. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I don't really use b and q, get much better terms at local builders merchant for building materials and have a electrifix account For electrical and plumbing gear

8. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Ummm... yes, and that was what was predicted and it's what happened.
    It hasn't happened as much as some people predicted, but it has happened.

Many of the things in the screwfix catalogue come from overseas (and even for British goods the materials often come from overseas).
    On the day before Brexit one euro cost about 76 pence, today it costs about 87 pence.
    On the day before Brexit one dollar cost about 67 pence, today it costs about 77 pence.

Note there are buffers against the increase in the overseas currency being passed on in prices (which is why prices haven't risen by 10-15%).
    Not all of an item's price is composed of its foreign currency cost - Screwfix have rent, wages etc which are paid in GBP.
    Companies may have existing stock which was purchased before the vote.
    Companies may have also have foreign currency reserves or hedged.
    Companies may also substitute lower quality goods or smaller quantities to maintain a price point.

Energy prices did go up somewhat (causing inflation), but they're getting back to where they were a year ago.
    That will take time to work through the system. Inflation lags the underlying movements.

A big factor in last quarter's CPI increase was air fares, as Easter was in Q1 last year and Q2 this year.
    https://www.ft.com/content/bb6d9ae2-0e42-33b0-ace7-99e922e0ac5c
    That wasn't Brexit, that was just Christianity's weird Easter calculation thing. So that part of the CPI won't be reflected in ironmongery prices!

But, yeah, the drop in the pound is one of important factors that's contributing to our inflation.
    Brexit hit the currency and the fall in the currency is an important factor of price inflation.

This isn't controversial KIAB. It's not a rolling eyes emoji. It's just the pound isn't quite as attractive as it was and we pay for things in pounds.

Maybe things will get better (the pound has been recovering somewhat). That's the expectation anyway.

Besides which, the people who voted for Brexit probably don't mind the modest prices increases we've been seeing in return for "getting their country back"/"controlling immigration"/"reducing regulation"/"other [insert motivation here]".

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Basically firms milking it & blaming Brexit for the increase in prices.

You only need to look at Mars bar, Kitkat,etc they get smaller, yet the price still goes up & they blame Brexit,Phfff!:(

masterdiy likes this.
  10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Last few tools purchased have been either evil bay, Campbell Miller, or
    Power tool world.
    Savings have been that different, thats its been worth the wait for them.
    Screwfix like many stores have large overheads. (and thats just the managers)
    On a Bosch miter saw I saved almost £50 compared to s/f

11. Screwfix could sell everything a lot cheaper because they have massive buying power through the Kingfisher group.
    Instead they keep the prices inflated to make bigger profits.
    The last cordless I bought was £130.00 cheaper elsewhere and that was not clearance or a sale, just the shops normal price.
    Perhaps where I bought did not factor in the greed markup of Screwfix,just normal profit.

KIAB likes this.
  12. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

I manufacture in a small way.
    Its Data Interfaces for Ham Radio Enthusiasts.
    I use a series of aluminium boxes the are made in Canada by Hammond.

In a short time after BREXIT they went up in ONE GO 48% from my dealer.
    My designed Printed Circuit Boards and Panels only fit those boxes at this time.

I now have a better deal from China making my PCBs as against the UK or even
    a local guy. The quality is excellent.

A Chinese company have now offered to supply free samples of there boxes including
    free post till I can settle on a suitable size. And switch to them.
    They contacted me . not me them.
    So China here I come.

I am www.g3liv.co.uk

Johnny M

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

They probably do use the buying power and if you notice the SF prices are often way below those in B&Q.

I would not say bigger profits from inflated prices but convenience, range availability and quick delivery ... how many wholesalers are open at 06:00 AM or at 21:55 or on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday? The wholesalers close to me are typically 07:30 to 17:00 meaning you cannot get there after finishing on site during the week and closed all day Saturday.