prime and tank before tiling bath/shower?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Philippa-h, Oct 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Philippa-h

Philippa-h New Member

Hi just had bathroom ripped out and and will be tiling around the bath/shower over bath.

The wall running along the length of bath is skimmed, the wall at the end on the bath is green plasterboard and the wall at the shower end of the bath is aquapanel.

Going to be using BAL rapid flex fibre plus s1 adhesive and will prime each of these surfaces first but my question is should i tank the area too?

I'm thinking just tank the wall with the shower on and the wall the length of the bath as they will have most water exposure?

Thanks in advance.

2. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

Quite the mix of materials!

It’s recommended under British standard to tank any shower area. However that’s not a regulation. For me, for the sake of a £45 kit, I would always tank the lot, even green plasterboard. It’s really just belt and braces.

Just one other note - the materials you have on the walls have different load ratings. i.e the skimmed wall can hold less weight than the bare plasterboard and aqua panel. Just worth remembering to be sure the weight of the adhesive and tiles on each wall doesn’t exceed their limits

rogerk101 likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I always tank the whole shower area. As Herbs says, for the cost of the kit (£31.99 for my most recent one which arrived last week), it's not worth not doing it.
    That said, I tiled a plasterboard shower enclosure 30 years ago, long before I even knew about green plasterboard or tanking kits, and it's still fine today, despite the shower being used several times a day.

4. Philippa-h

Philippa-h New Member

Thanks I think i would prefer belt and braces approach! cheers for the note on weights - i've chosen tile plus adhesive weight based on the max load the plaster can handle and calculated to less than 20kg per m2 so fingers crossed all holds well!

5. Philippa-h

Philippa-h New Member

brill thanks! it is amazing how many different approaches you get and all turns out well. many thanks ordering kit now (and primer for plaster wall..) :)

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select