Primer for frame sealant?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

Hello,

I have a door and window frame that was originally dark (reddish / brown colour) that has matching sealant around. Sometime in the past these have been painted white and I re-coated them ages ago.

Now the sealant (I presume silicone based) has lost most of the paint where it did not stick very well.

I want to repaint the whole lot; what primer/undercoat can be used over the frame sealant that will be better than my general purpose?

Thanks for the help :)

Steve

2. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

I did read that knotting is good? Or maybe exterior caulk over the top of the frame sealant.

Is that a reasonable approach?

Thanks, Steve

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

As you suspect, more than likely silicon around frames, will take paint for a while, then eventually paint will flake off

Can’t comment on any product to paint over silicon to provide a key, not heard of using knotting solution but like you, I’m diy so don’t profess to know it all

Knotting solution is shellac based so ‘if’ it works, I would suspect that Zinnser BIN ‘may’ also be a possibility as that to is shellac based ...... but I have no idea

As for a thin bead of exterior caulk over existing, wouldn’t go there myself. Would be concerned over bond between caulk and painted silicon and the chance of it looking messy and going horribly wrong :eek:

Time to bite the bullet I recon and sort once and for all......

Cut out silicon and replace with paintable frame sealant .... job done

Geocel Trade Mate is a recognised brand, SF have their own range branded as Nemesis, whilst several other brands to consider as well but, don’t go cheap and use a trusted brand (not £ shop) :D

I’ve not used this product myself but have been looking into it as have the same situation at home which I need to tackle ...... just need the spare time

Good luck

4. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

Thanks DIY Dave.

I will cut out the existing sealant, I re-inspected this morning and it does not look that difficult as I first thought. I will then seal with "Nemesis" and caulk all the other bits where the old shiplap wood has shrunk and split. That should make it look better before painting.

Cheers for the help :) Steve