Primer for plywood flooring / underfloor heating / granite tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Alictait, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Alictait

Alictait New Member

Hi folks,

I have searched lots of places for advice on the above subject to no avail.

I know that PVA is generally regarded as a no no, however what about waterproof PVA is this regarded with the same disdain.

Also my tiling adhesive recommends Acrylic primer - but can I find it anywhere - is there a screwfix substitute ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

3. Alictait

Alictait New Member

Thanks for that,

Do you think that this would suffice ?

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Any tile shop will do acrylic primer

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

That link to screwfix primer is for painters.........not tiling

6. Alictait

Alictait New Member

I didn't think that it would do. The usual DIY wharehouses don't seem to have the stuff and I really don't want to throw ant money towards Topps Tiles so thought someone may know a reasonable online supplier.

Thanks again

Ali

7. enjay

enjay New Member

8. Alictait

Alictait New Member

Thanks enjay,

Do you know the most reasonable supplier for it ?

Cheers

9. enjay

enjay New Member

10. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Oh No............not trades direct. ;(

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Unless I am mistaken, Bal Bond isn't suitable for use as a primer on Ply wood flooring as Bal don't recommend using a primer with their adhesive on floors.

12. enjay

enjay New Member

If you check the link above to the Bal tech pages they recommend priming ply (on the reverse side) with Balbond SBR. It's basically a belt and braces approach to prevent the ply warpimg or cupping due to moisture ingress.

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I understand that Bond should be used on the underside and sides but they don't recommend on the top (do they?)

Surely this is what the OP is asking?

14. enjay

enjay New Member

Absolutely right bathstyle, I neglected to mention that in my first post, oops :(

15. Alictait

Alictait New Member

Cheers folk,

The ply is already down and 30mm of the stuff with about 1200 screws so I aint taking it back up to coat the underside.

Any advice on the laying of the underfloor heating - do you always screed with self leveling compound or just imbed it into the tile adhesive? I am using 3mm devi floor mats.

Cheers Again

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would float the floor with a slightly wetter coat of Rapidset flexible tile adhesive, tile the next day, or you could use arditex 2 part self levelling compound.

17. Alictait

Alictait New Member

Thanks for that,

The company I bought all my tiles off of just recommended that I use a thicker layer of adhesive in order to incorporate the UHF into the floor and tile straight away with no initial first coat - I assume this is a no no.

I have some bags of flexible adhesive that was left over from a previous project that is different from the Granfix stuff that I bought to lay the granite - could I use this as my UHF layer and then use the granfix stuff on top ot is this just asking for trouble ?

Thanks again in advance.

Ali

18. MAD1

MAD1 New Member

AQUAPROOF. VARIOUS PRODUCTS, FIND THEM ONLINE. WET ROOMS & WATERPROOFING. JUST READ THIS POST SO SORRY IF ITS LATE. GOOD LUCK.