Priming/painting MDF shelves

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by EmLucy, Nov 15, 2019.

1. EmLucy

EmLucy New Member

Hi, I’m making some MDF shelves that’re 18mm thick. I’ve been told different things about priming them before I paint with a grey emulsion. Some people have said PVA, a few layers of spare white emulsion, any normal primer/undercoat or a specific MDF one and I’m not sure what to use? Thanks

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Do not use PVA, its the work of the devil. Zinsser BIN is good

You might also try the spray version!

KIAB likes this.
  3. EmLucy

EmLucy New Member

Thanks for the reply! I’m trying to do this as cheap as possible so any alternatives to this product??

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

There are always alternatives, but question is are they any good.

You could use an MDF primer https://www.johnstonestrade.com/product/mdf-primer

Or try a standard acrylic primer/undercoat.

Or simply a mist coat of your grey emulsion (mist = slightly watered down 10-20%)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

That's a decent option KIAB posted, I'd suggest you use a primer suited to the job. I've used Leyland acrylic primer and that went on nicely.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer Undercoat superb product,it's also recommended for mdf on Leyland's site,works out cheaper to use if you have a lot of shelves to paint.

https://leylandtrade.com/products/interior-trim-primer/Acrylic-Primer-Undercoat

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-acrylic-primer-undercoat-2-5ltr/64719

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do it once, do it right.;)

Hans_25 and KIAB like this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I really like this primer, good opacity, plenty of 'body', good price, water based, quick drying, no smell, and its great on MDF

I've painted a far bit of MDF with this primer, 4" foam roller, either lay off with a brush or roll slowly and this leaves a faint stipple effect, can leave like this or flat off with P180 paper, 2 coats on mdf faces gives a solid white surface to then paint over. Can use 'high density' foam rollers and these leave less stipple than the soft white foam (tend to be black foam the ones I've got, Prodec I think)

MDF edges take a bit more work as water in the paint causes the wood fibres to swell up and cut surface goes 'fluffy'. So prime, allow to dry, sand down, repeat 2/3 times more, sounds like effort but not too bad, primer dries in around an hour and just light hand sanding, brush down, next coat on

As the primer is fairly thick, it kinda acts like a micro filler which after several coats and sanding, leaves a totally smooth edge ready for finish paint

Best to give a light hand sand P180 between every coat, primer and top coats then dust down, hoover, and or tack cloths for a great finish

Hans_25 and KIAB like this.