Problem customer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by It'sme, Mar 2, 2019.

1. It'sme

It'sme New Member

Hi, just after a bit of advice. I'll try and keep it short as possible.

So a neighbor's friend had an issue with a upstairs ring circuit that kept tripping the mcb and asked if I could have a look. I'm level 3 qualified with 17th ed, but sub for someone else. I enjoy my job, it's all experience for me and so said I'd take a look.
    I spent approx 2-3 hrs but couldn't find said fault, I advised the guy to maybe get someone else in to have a look, fresh pair of eyes, more experience etc. I was then asked to go back and look which is where I went wrong. - I did! I couldn't find the fault for what I can only put down to inexperience I guess. I told him that re wiring the circuit was a possibility in order to fix the fault. Also by my own admission, I did leave the loft in a bit of a state, I had the insulation up to trace cables and move stored stuff, not that it was that tidy innthe first place!
    I'm now being threatened with possible legal action, he's accusing me of being a rouge and saying that I can't possibly be qualified. Never going to recommend me etc etc etc etc unless I pay back what he gave me. - £50

I must be honest, it's knocked me a bit and so I'm just looking for peoples opinions?

Cheers
    T.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He's probably trying it on and playing on your inexperience to get the £50 refunded, as you advised him to get someone more qualified in you left the loft ready for the next electrician therefore saving time. Yes it would have knocked you and no doubt the first of a few you will recieve during your working career......don't worry we all get them, it is unlikely to go any further.

Heat likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am inclined to suggest you aren't experienced enough to do fault finding. Why were you in the loft looking at a ring circuit? Rings are rarely wired through a loft, they are in the floor void. £50.00 for 3 hours is a 'token gesture', it doesn't cover your time. Going back was a mistake and you still haven't found the fault. I would put it down to experience, keep the £50.00, that was for the first visit, you haven't charged him for the second. Point that out. Don't be intimidated by him, like Astramax said, it won't go any further, its all anger in the moment type stuff.

Heat likes this.
  4. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

You should just give back the £50.
    And put this down to experience.

And never toss stuff about in a loft. Its not your job.
    You should have pointed out what needs moving.
    Leave the site and return when its cleared.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    DIY womble and seneca like this.
  5. It'sme

It'sme New Member

There was a socket and a sfs in the loft, which were part of the ring, the rest as you say was under the floor. I'm under no illusions regarding fault finding, it's not always straight forward and is definitely something that needs experience. But the only way to learn, is have a go.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just ignore him.

Heat and Risteard like this.
  7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Some folks just don't like parting with their money. If you think he is going to take legal action then let him get on with it and waste his time and money. He will have to prove in a small claims court that you owe him the money. He will do this by producing all the paperwork associated with the contract and evidence that you did not complete the work to an agreed standard. He should also be prepared to explain why he paid an individual a fee without checking that they were registered for self assessment tax.

As @goldenboy says "just ignore him" - he'll calm down and realise he is in the wrong for trying to get work done on the cheap.

8. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

What if its an elderly person, of course you move stuff about, never get anything done otherwise

squish likes this.
  9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

We have all had it before.

I remember making 6 replacement sashes for a customer as one of my first ever jobs.

I was naïve in the extreme

I priced £600 for all of them.

Materials cost £500 and I took 3 weeks to make them!

When I delivered them the chap bullied me into fitting them as well as part of the price

When I finished the guy expected me to prime them as well.

Got really difficult when I said I wouldn't.

£100 profit for 4 weeks work!!!

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No it isn't the type of work to have ago. Fault finding is not easy and customers don't seem to want to pay you to look for a fault. This can take hours or even days and its very difficult to justify your time. Its inevitable they will question why you didn't find it if you don't and won't want to pay you if you don't find it. This work is best avoided in my opinion, leave it to the mugs who take it on or be absolutely sure you can find it before you take it on. But that in itself is inviting trouble because you can never guarantee. Not the type of work I want to do these days, too much hassle involved, one of which is the customer!

11. Bogle Crag

I take on fault finding lots because I enjoy the challenge, I tell the client it is open ended and they always agree, I aint no mug either

Risteard likes this.
  12. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

If you can afford it give him the money back with a nice letter explaining your actions and that you are sorry to be living with neighbors that have such miserable selfish friend's

Wayners and Heat like this.
  13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Each to their own, Bogle, I hate fault finding. If you enjoy it, fill your boots.

14. Bogle Crag

Maybe you do not have the necessary experience

Risteard likes this.
  15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Some people like to fix things.

seneca likes this.
  16. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I like fault finding right up until the point when I realise I cant find the fault, sort of goes down hill from there on in. However I persevere and sort it eventually, only once recently I haven't cured something and that was when the wiring was horrific everywhere and no access to anything.

17. Bogle Crag

When I get to that point I walk away and have some downtime, helps clear the noddle, then come back with a fresh approach

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes but I expect to put it back again, not leave it in a mess!

19. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Have never moved customers stuff. I'm not paid to do that,
    Its up to the elderly person to employ someone or use a relative. Its their problem.

Move their stuff?? You having a laff?
    Shift loft insulation?? Mebbe two feet deep of the stuff?
    And then held responsible for making good??
    You having a bigger laff?

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like you've not been self employed very long Gringo!

Jord86 likes this.