Problem cutting long shims (angles) on a Table saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Slipsurfer, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Slipsurfer

Slipsurfer New Member

Trying to cut long shims (wedges) on a Rexon 12" Table saw for creating the fall on a wet room floor. Built a taper jig as per Norm on NYW, but kept getting burn and the blade jamming. Any advice please ?

Could it be that my blade is dull?

Cheers

Slipsurfer

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

there are generally two reasons for burning wood, one you have already guessed (a dull blade) secondly too slow a feed rate

no joke, you can get timber to burst into flames

i havent seen New Yankee Workshop but am aware that it will be some sort of "sled" that is being used

a lesser known reason for burning wood (which is realy a variation on the first two) is using a crosscut saw for ripping, but essentially it is still a rate of feed question.

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Either a blunt blade or too many teeth, for ripping you don't want much more than 24 teeth. Also make sure the timber is not moving away from your taper jig and that your riving knife is the correct thickness for your blade, I assume you are using the riving knife/crown gaurd unlke Norm!!

Jason

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

y not just use square stock and wedge/pack it up 4 the fall.when the sub board is fitted it wont move.

5. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Slightly glib answer - if your shims are less than 8ft, then instead of cutting down timber lengths, get yourself a sheet of plywood, mark up your wedges on the sheet - easy way is to mark up strips+twice the width of the saw blade and then the diagonal of the strip (I hope that makes sense!). No need for any fancy jigs. If you have problems following the lines, add a bit then plane down to the line. If necessary, use two wedges per joist. It worked for me!!

6. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek New Member

Hi - I suggest you forget the table saw and get yourself a Festool TS55EBQ complete with guide rail. It'll do this job and a million others... neater, quicker and much more portable than any table saw. Check out the www for info.

7. Slipsurfer

Slipsurfer New Member

All sorted....

Went back to basics, used a bench hook and a circlura saw with a laser.

Fantastic results no need to plane shims.

Thanks for all your help

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

a sideways take on your solution slipsurfer

i use a bench hook used for cross cutting :)