Problem fitting new fascia door to Integrated Dishwasher

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYCarol, Nov 4, 2021.

1. DIYCarol

DIYCarol New Member

So this should be easy but the Handyman who fitted new unit doors could not complete the Dishwasher fascia door and was stumped. June 2020. Me too. Also annoying as I use that door handle as my towel rail.
    The old door wasn't fitted properly as it fell of with one screw (of 4) removed.
    Old door was used as template to fit new plastic fittings (see images) to new door.
    In theory, the new door should be pushed in and upwards to fit the metal fittings into top 2 slots, then 4 screws tightened inside on the actual dishwasher door to secure the plastic fittings. But it just falls off. Perhaps a problem with fittings?
    I don't use the Dishwasher. It is a Whirpool ADG7540 but almost never been used.
    So I don't want to buy a new Integrated Dishwasher just to solve the problem!

Question: The 4 screws look around 1/2 inch......should they be longer? I'm not convinced that would make a difference? I found a video taking the fascia door off this exact model and it looked like fairly short screws.

ALL COMMENTS/IDEAS WELCOME.

Attached Files:

2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

Maybe the holes in the plastic bits are stripped so the screws that go from inside dishwasher in to the plastic, are not being grabbed by the screws anymore?

3. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

4. DIYCarol

DIYCarol New Member

Thanks for your help. Yes, I could only find the User Manual for download. Your link is interesting. I could already see what is supposed to happen. The gold clips inside the dishwasher door holes (which slide off as I've even taken the dishwasher door off to inspect them) are supposed to grab round the plastic bits on the fascia door, then the 4 screws tightened. I reckon that either there is a problem with the gold clips (maybe bent) or, like you say, something wrong with the plastic bits on the fascia door. The other option mentioned in your link above is to get longer wood screws to screw directly into the fascia door....can just imagine what would happen if I tried that myself! It's proving difficult to get a good handyman here in Edinburgh these days for small jobs!

5. DIYCarol

DIYCarol New Member

Is anyone around the Edinburgh Leith area who can help with a solution to get the above damned dishwasher fascia door on?
    I've also got a damaged architrave in the ensuite which needs replaced (perhaps with one inside a cupboard) or repaired? See photo.

Attached Files:

6. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

The idea of pushing the door IN AND UPWARDS does not make sense to me.
    Usually these kind of fittings would SUPPORT the door whilst you secure the rest of it, so you would push the door IN AND DOWN so they sit on the slots or whatever is supplied with the fittings.

Sorry, difficult to really tell anything from the photo's. Need a close up of one of the plastic fittings / hooks.

7. DIYCarol

DIYCarol New Member

Thanks for trying to help me.

Not sure if you can view above Video which shows the door fascia being removed. He takes the door off by going DOWNWARDS. I can't find video to ATTACH fascia door. You will see from my first post photos that there are 2 metal fittings at the top of the fascia door which must be inserted UPWARDS into the 2 slots on the top white part of the actual dishwasher door. That's the easy bit. The 4 plastic bits.....beeping beep! No idea if UP/DOWN or straight ahead. I'm wondering if the handyman who attempted this has perhaps not attached the plastic fittings in exactly the right place.....I have attached some close up photos including the plastic part attached to the clip inside to show what should ultimately happen. Also, the screw size for the 4 holes which I guess tightens the clip around the plastic part.

Attached Files:

8. Ceebee

Ceebee Active Member

Here’s a video showing a door being fitted to a Whirlpool dishwasher, at 1min 20 it shows the outer tabs as well as some further in being cut away from the lower plastic fittings whereas yours are still attached?

DIYCarol likes this.
  9. DIYCarol

DIYCarol New Member

Brilliant :), this should help. I was using my exact model number to search and couldn't find a video. So thanks a million. It could take me a while to work it out and I wish he was speaking on the video.....but I suspect it might provide the solution to see if the plastic fittings need adjusting. The day I/someone gets this door on...I will report my success! Although I'm sure nobody will still have this DW.

10. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@DIYCarol
    It is a long time since I fitted one of this type. I get what you say about the metal bits.
    The ones that drop down are easier to fit IIRC.

The bit about the tabs being cut off doesn't normally affect the fitting of the door.
    They are only on there to enable getting the plastic fittings aligned with the sides of the door, whichever side of the door they are being fitted, (hence tabs on both sides).
    A good fitter would have cut the outer ones off at least though.

I cannot remember how they are secured once pushed into the metal clips but just seems that something is not lining up, or the plastic clips are not being pushed in far enough for the clips to grip them properly.