problem in replacing extractor fan

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by modest, Dec 24, 2019.

1. modest

modest New Member

hi

I tried replacing my old bathroom fan with new manrose pull cord one. I connected the the two wires to the designated, as shown on the fan, slots of the fan and fixed the small screw. when i pull the cord the fan did not start as if there is no electricity. I tried to connect again after taking out the wires but it did not work. can anyone help?

2. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Was the original fan have a pull cord? Should have permanent live but isolator switch somewhere.

3. modest

modest New Member

Yes the original has a pull cord too. The cable has two wire live and neutral which were connected to the original. I just took out those two wires from original and connected to the new one which two slots for the wires. It looks simple fail to understand why its not running when I pull the cord.

4. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Pull cord switch faulty?.

5. modest

modest New Member

That's what I thought and bought a new one of the same model. Even the new one didn't work. Finally returned the new one. I wonder if there is no proper connection or cable has no current flowing. I am gonna check it after Christmas with power tester.

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

Have you turned the room light on it might not receive power with it turned off...also isolation switch on wall above door...

7. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Active Member

Connect a cable to the new fan with a 3 pin plug at the other end. Plug into a power socket, take care and switch on, does the fan run ? If so the power supply to the old fan has failed - but where ?

8. modest

modest New Member

I have noticed there are two boxes on the wal just outside the bathroom door. One says bathroom extractor and other read greenwood airvac. Unfortunately could not upload the pictures. Does these two boxes have any clue for the problem.

9. Wayners

Take screenshots of the photo which will make it a smaller file size and upload.

10. modest

modest New Member

I am attaching the screen shots of the boxes. Hope someone will be able to help me out.

Attached Files:

11. modest

modest New Member

This is the place of exhaust and cable connection.

Attached Files:

12. Wayners

Have you checked Fuse? Pull open. It might have blown

IMG_20191226_101917.jpg

Attached Files:

13. modest

modest New Member

That's a good thought. Will check n revert. Thanks

14. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the fan is 240 volts mains and not 12 volt DC with a hidden transformer..

15. modest

modest New Member

Hi belated merry Christmas n happy new year2020. I have checked with tester on the wires and found current is flowing. It looks like it's got to do with volts. I don't understand much about it but I will post volt specifications of my original and new fan through two screenshots. I will appreciate if could guide me on this.

I am not able to upload the screenshots but will try to the specifications.
    Original: 12V 50mz 15watt use with 15vi controller only

New: 220-240 volt AC 50Hz 41dBA Max extract 21l/s 17watt IPX4

Hope I have picked the relevant information.

16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

... so a 12V extractor fan, presumably powered from a 12V power supply somewhere between the light switch and the fan.

... so a 240V extractor fan, intended to be powered from a 240V power supply, usually associated with the bathroom lighting circuit.

Therein lies your problem. Your new 240V fan will not run off your old fan's 12V power supply.

If it were mine, I'd use a new 12V fan to replace to old one. The original installer probably intentionally installed a 12V fan because he/she knew about zones in bathrooms and knew that a 240V must not be used in close proximity to a water source. This is why tradespeople have certifications ... they tend to know what's required to keep their customers safe. :cool:

sparky steve likes this.
  17. modest

modest New Member

Thanks for the important clarification. I would now definitely look for 12v fan as your advice.

18. modest

modest New Member

Hi
    Finally I have found the like for like 12v bathroom extractor fan of the same company i.e, greenwood.
    I would appreciate if someone would advise me where to connect two wires of electric cable into three slots of the fan. Unfortunately it does not name the slots as live positive and neutral but simply names as 1 2 3. Thanks

19. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

20. modest

modest New Member