Problem wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Graham Linton, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

I'm painting a living room. The landlord has use zinsser bin on the wall between the ceiling and the wall and down the side where the corners are.

I've opened the tin that they've used and it's quite yellow so I'm assuming it is off. Even when it's been mixed it is quite yellow. I've tried painting over with emulsion but it keeps coming through the yellow tinge.

Would it be worth trying Zinsser guard to cover over the the BIN or should I buy a new tin of zinsser bin and cover it that way.

I'm attached some photos and would appreciate some help thank you so much.

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stick a wooden spoon in drill and give it a mix. You can hand mix but will take longer. Solids have settled in bottom of tin with that yellow oil like stuff on the top so you need to mix it up.

BIN is never very white and has pour covering power as its applied thinly and a bit watery.
    It's used to block stains and prime surfaces.

Graham Linton likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also I’ve found when painting over BIN, it depends on the emulsion your using as to ‘covering power’

I used some cheap contact emulsion and this gave poor coverage over the BIN - this was just used to spot prime a previous water leak to ceiling

Have since used Dulux Supermatt and D EasyCare over BIN with no problems

What emulsion are you using ?

4. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Thanks you two. I am using Dulux Trade Supermatt. I sanded the patches and covered the flashing with Bullseye 123 today, 2 coats, and I "think" it's covered. I will know more tomorrow but it certainly looked different when I left at 7pm than it did the day before.
    It was flashing yellow roller lines where applied but these seem to have been covered now. Before I left I gave it a thick coat of emulsion. I will let you know if it has worked tomorrow. Thanks to you both.

Wayners likes this.