Problem with a wood floor.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dannnn123456, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dannnn123456

Dannnn123456 New Member

Hiya, I got a problem with a floating bamboo floor I've fitted.the customer supplied all the materials. It's quite a big area around 50sq meters however it's broke up into 3 sections with door thresholds.

When I went to look at the job I was told the fitter they were going to use pulled out for some reason. They then told me the areas he was going to latex (all concrete sub floor with new extention coming off it) I then pointed out another area that needed latexing so I latexed 2 areas the other guy was going to do then an extra area that I picked up on. They agreed with me and I won the job happy days.

Since fitting the floor they have realised
    There is a bounce in one area where the subfloor obviously has a low point. (No where near where I latexed)

Where do I stand with this, is this my problem to rectify or there's? I didn't touch or lay their existing sub floor there however they are saying it's my fault.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I’m not a floor layer but, I would have thought that it’s up to you to find any shallow areas and treat as nessasary before laying floor. I assume you saw the areas you did treat and assessed them by eye. Perhaps you should have put a level over it all.

3. Chippy mick

Chippy mick Member

I can see from both sides. Maybe try and meet in the middle some where with rectifying the problem. You may not earn loads but it’s better than them saying anything bad about your work

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I laid laminate flooring, even enginered flooring on to a concrete floor, I would always put down a levelling compound over the whole area first, as even with using quailty underlay it has it's limitations with sorting imperfections.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Personally, I would assess and measure the floor for undulations (high points and low points).......then check manufacturers limits and recommendations....THEN decide if it needed any remedial action at all....such as using a cementitious based latex rich levelling compound.
    ;)
    RS

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No concrete or screeded floor is 100% level.:)

A long spirit level is all you need to confirm it.

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

And believe me....I do have a long one
    ....and a few torpedoes as well !!
    :cool:
    RS

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Hi Dann,
    Bamboo- second most hated-loved timber to work with, just saying :p

From as little given (for ME) to understand, one mistake I assume to be, is you have gone over 6meters in one or the other direction without threshold- asking for trouble, as remember having nightmare, when after fitting, had a "problem- snag" to go back to, where floor started lifting up (big "bubble" on one side of the rooms, then few months later few cracks opened up and for one of them (ever so big) had to cut slither in (0-7-2mm across whole 7m length), whilst others just waxed over with really dark wax, cleaning all of the excess thoroughly. The expensive underlay, with foil, was obviously letting moisture through from some possibly distant point to the floor imperfection point.

So here it is my suggestion, ask client to give it few months and it might settle by itself, as in my case, I went back (3'rd or 4'th time) after almost a year of so and gaps (cracks) some closed up, tiny new ones where present, but client accepted it and it wasn't looking bad. I know now, why new engineered floor is mainly MDF backed, even horrid to work with, whilst older days it was cheap plywood.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Foil underlay like Sonic Gold you need to tape the joins to stop moisture coming through.

10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Aye!
    and I did! (I think, well, almost sure), but when laying odd "scratch" or tear to miss is inevitable... ;)

Thant's my excuse and I stick to it! :p