Problem with Printer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Feb 8, 2020.

1. My wife has just typed a document and wanted to print it using her HP printer but when she tried to print nothing happened and the printer was turned on and had ample paper.So I went to my laptop to try and print from her printer and it printed ok so she tried again and again did not print.On my laptop I went to Devices and printers and right clicked on her printer and it showed nothing in the print queue.All the lights are on so should work.Her OS is Windows 10 and mine is Windows 7 if that helps.In the end she printed her document using my printer.Her printer is a HP Deskjet 2540 all in one series.Any advice appreciated.

2. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Worth checking the default printer has not been changed, it's happened to me a couple of times, windows 10 has been trying to print via One Note (cloud I think) or XPS whatever that is!

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Good advice. :)

4. My wife has just printed something from her Apple ipad so not sure what the problem is.You say check that the printer is still the default printer but to do that I need to go to Devices and Printers but seem unable to find that on her laptop on this laptop it is easy start then devices and printers but the OS on this laptop is Windows 7 where or how do I find Devices and Printers on her laptop where the OS is Windows 10.

5. teabreak

Bottom LH of screen start button then the little cog icon then select hardware and printers.

6. teabreak

Edit heading is Devices.;)

7. When I click on the printer it says driver is unavailable what I did was clicked start then on the small cog on the L/H side then double clicked on devices.

8. teabreak

That's me beat then! Hoped it was simple.
    If it is wifi you could try using a cable to see if it works;)

9. I have now uninstalled the printer and clicked on add a printer and it says no device found the printer is turned on.My wifes printer is listed in Devices and Printers on this laptop and prints from this laptop.I have found the printer now but when I right click on the printer icon and then click on set as default printer it says Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Double check the printer name and make sure the printer is connected to the network which it must be as it prints from this laptop.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

@Paul Blackburn As you seem to be having so many issues over so many bit's of computer tech, has it occurred to you to join a tech forum ?
    I would highly recommend: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/ Post any problem there and it will be answered, probably in seconds :D

11. Thanks Kitfit will check it out all I want to do is uninstall the printer from my wifes laptop and then re-install it should be simple.

12. quasar9

quasar9 New Member

Have you Visited the printer manufacturers website and reinstalled the driver? When installing, if it offers you the choice of making it the default printer, choose it else make it the default later. Windows updates often causes this.

13. I have asked the question on the HP Forum site and am waiting a reply but will do what you suggested and visit the manufacturers website.

14. I have just been onto the HP website and downloaded up to date drivers and now need to install them but do not know where to find them would have no problem with windows 7 but this is windows 10 any suggestions as to where I will find them.Thanks

15. teabreak

In the box next to the start button type printer drivers,
    scroll down for "how do I update printer driver" should give step by step.
    This box is really useful for finding settings and things you need, it will tell you what is on the computer (usually at the top of the list) and give links to the web for others.

16. quasar9

quasar9 New Member

If the download is a zip file it should run. Look into downloads folder or wherever you downloaded and click on it. It should start executing asking you permissions.

17. Have been away for a week and will go back to trying to sort out this problem.