Problems with an immersion heater

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by learnerelectrics, Jul 12, 2005.

1. learnerelectrics

learnerelectrics New Member

Hoping for some advice here, I have changed the immersion heater rod twice in the last six months, I have also changed the thermostat so I get hot water for a while but then it stops working
    What could be wrong, I have tried getting someone to look at it but they either dont deal with immersion heaters, or dont answer the phone.

Thanks

2. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

All new immersion elements have a safety cut out thermostat AS WELL as the thermostat that you can adjust, the former is NOT adjustable. It maybe that the element is actually OK.

3. learnerelectrics

learnerelectrics New Member

Sorry to sound ignorant but you are saying....what maybe wrong?

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

What rr is saying is that if you have the immersion heater thermostat set too high it will trip out the safety cutout on the thermostat. This then appears as though the heater or thermostat has failed, when all it needs is the safety cutout resetting. The purpose of the cutout is to prevent the water in the cylinder from boiling if the thermostat fails in the on position. Set the immersion thermostat at approx 60 degrees and you should not have any problems.

BB