Problems with Back to the Wall WC

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simon J, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Simon J

Simon J New Member

A customer got a leak on a wall hung back to the wall pan. (Roca)

Took pan off the wall and looking at the shape left on the pan connector there was every chance this is where the leak was coming from.

Changed the pan connector and then spend a few hours trying to get it to re-seal & re-fit.

We had a hell of a job trying to put it back and unfortunatley still couldn't stop the pan leaking onto the floor.

We changed the flush pipe bung seal to irradicate this as an issue.

The china stub on the pan (where the pan connector goes) is very short and I'm wondering if other people have experianced similar problems with Roca wall hung pans.

Also, the fixing rods were not bolted tight to the wall, i.e. infront and behind the stud wall. is this correct as it bacame nigh-on impossible to try and pull the fixing rods through the holes on the pan, get the pan connector to push home and get the flush pipe to seat into the hole.

This is the first time i've worked on a wall hung pan (you can probably tell!) Can anyone please give me some advise of how to get it to all fit back together.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

3. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Thanks Captain but the gap between the back of the pan and the soil stack inside the stud wall is very small, certainly less than the 185mm minimum distance the flexi connector allows.

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I take it you don't have a W.C Frame that clamps the flush pipe and the Pan Connector?

If not it's very difficult to tell whether things have been pushed home fully. Try wedging a piece of wood behind the flush pipe and the Pan connector.

Alternatively expose part of the wall so you can get access to connectors ( easier said than done I know ;) )

A smear of silicone around the Pan Spigot often stops leaks.

5. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Thanks for the advice Bathstyle.

Unfortunately the soil pipe is not clamped into a framework, the same goes for the flush pipe. It's all independent of each other.

OK I'll try the silicone method, it's worth a go.

6. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

these are always tricky when the soil and flush are not clamped, this is probably stating the obvious but if the bolts can be screwed out then do so to give sufficient length to place the wc onto them, have the pan connector only just resting in the soil pipe,2 man job and when the wc has got over the bolts (just) you should have sufficient clearance to get fingers behind and pushthe bung and pipe into place and also one side at a time get fingers onto the connector and get it onto the wc and when you are sure it is fully on the wc stub outlet...slowly push the unit ito place with the connector sliding into the soil pipe. As mentioned, a good idea to chock the soil so it won't slide back.....

7. gary321

gary321 New Member

How long as the pan been fitted? I had a problem with a Roca BTW pan leaking and it was because the spigot wasn't round, it had a flat spot that wasn't that noticeable at first look.
    I tried 4 different pan connectors and none would seal completely. The fix in the end was to exchage the pan. The model was Laura and is was Back to Wall but not wall hung.

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Let's not forget that the leak could always be coming from the actual Pan, I've had plenty of manufacturers cracks in the China over the years, over ten Ideal standard W.Cs, a few Rocas but not one Duravit though, weird!! ;)

The best way to test a pan for leaks (out of position) is to use a flexy Pan con and bend the pan con so that the finned end is above the top rim of the Pan, then just fill the pan up to the top with water, this exposes any faults in the entire Pan and tests the Pan far better than any flush would.

9. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Thanks Guys for your advice. Looks like I've landed a right job here!