Professional Fitting of USED doors and radiators - viable?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Anthony Foley, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Anthony Foley

Anthony Foley New Member

Hi Folks,

Im new and not sure if this is more a place for pros than learners like me, so sorry if Ive misunderstood. I have bought what you might call a doer upper lol and have some questions about where i may or may not save money.

I posted on another site about paying for the professional fitting of used, nearly new windows earlier, and even though you see top notch stuff a lot being given away I’ve been advised there are regulations for both the window and the fitting that you must meet, matching sizes will be a nightmare etc - so all in all it seems used windows is probably a no go.

So now I have the same question for doors, both internal and external, composite OR wood. Is sizing more standardised, less tricky to match? Are there less regulations to abide by? Ive seen some lovely traditional wooden doors Id fancy for the back and composites in frames going for very cheap regularly for the front.

and i would ALSO like to ask the same question about paying someone for plumbing in of used (clean!) bathroom suite, used decent boiler, used but decent radiators?? Might there be some of the same issues with regs to meet etc?

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

With windows, size would be the issue but otherwise, so long as they are up to current code there's no reason why you shouldn't use s/h. Same with boilersuite up to you. Getting someone to do it and warrant their work might not be so easy.

Anthony Foley likes this.
  3. Anthony Foley

Anthony Foley New Member

Thank you for this

4. Nexial

Nexial Active Member

For radiators, it may be worth popping into your local national plumbers merchants to see what they have there, when I worked for one, the amount of rads that we scrapped due to slight dents, chips on the paintworks or scratches were unreal (picture a pallet a month of radiators that would work fine, just with a few scuffs) You may be able to bag a bargin, and slip £10 into their "slush fund" for half a dozen new(ish) rads

5. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Door sizing is pretty standard but frames can be all over the place so they have probably already been cut to suit, and then fitting in your old frames, if they’re solid doors and don’t have to be fire rated could work, I’ve reused old skipped doors to replace doors in my rented place but if you’re paying someone to do it might cost you more in labour then just getting new doors..
    Rads could be ok but more then likely if they’re pre used then they’re rusted inside, boiler for what you pay to get it installed might as well buy new with warranty as nobody’s gonna guarantee it and if it breaks in 6 months you’re back to square one