Project Replace Downstairs Pipework.

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Joe95, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Took down the most of the fence today and put up a small one to keep the dog away from the works.

I had a few issues with the Dewalt framing nailer not firing, I hope it still works alright - it'll see some heavy use over the coming weeks.

IMG_8683(2).jpg

Took some engineering on the access door...
    Quickest gate install ever!:D:D
    IMG_8684(2).jpg

I could fill a skip already! There's one coming Wednesday, on Tuesday I'll get some hoarding up across the driveways so we can knock down both the garages.

IMG_8687(2).jpg

The timber beside the door is staying - it's in good nick and I think I'll use it for some cellar shelving.

I've got to wrap up a job tomorrow, so work is set to properly begin on Tuesday.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do you own a claw hammer, know how to use it, then remove or bend over those nails,only adds a few minutes to the job, a accident waiting to happen.:mad::mad::mad:

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of my pet hates is nails / screws left in wood. Either going to get one in your foot or hands and of course once exposed to the air they get nice and rusty quickly

If you are getting a skip - put those Stanley trestles in it, they are so dangerous

KIAB likes this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've done it to three of them! It's a slow process and there is always (conveniently) something else that needs doing. :p:p

I would have done it straight away had it been at someone else's house, but here I am not so fussed, everyone is aware of the dangers.

Promise it'll be done tomorrow evening!:)

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have the Fatmax ones now for work (older design), I generally use those plastic ones around the house.

Much prefer the Fatmax ones, they have adjustable feet - which surprisingly get used a lot. If anyone can recommenced a pair better than them I'd be interested.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also my pet hate,they can do it straight away at somone else's place, but not their own,only take one person to slip or forget, remember tetanus is a killer, knew two peeps who died of it, one stepped on a piece of wood with a rusty nail in it.

And treat yourself to a pair of ToughBuilt trestles, brilliant things.:)

Got a pair of the C700's, fit two lengths 4x2 in the clamps, & a sheet of 18mm ply or old fire door & you have great workbench.

http://www.toughbuilt.com/sawhorses/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What a lot of people assume is that safety shoes are to protect the toes, they don't realise that have a metal plate in the soles to protect against nail penetration

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Whoops, think I should avoid putting pictures up now:oops:

Like I said, I'll have everything de-nailed tomorrow evening. I do know its dangerous, but it poses less of a risk around here. To be clear, every piece of timber leaving the property will have no nails sticking out. It's a liability and danger.

I'll rely on the reinforced soles of my boots for now.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Any timber over 1 m, I would keep unless it is badly chewed up or decayed. I hate putting timber into skips

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

There's plenty of peices that are rotten, have extensive water damage or are splitting quite badly. A good chunk of it has already been denailed and put into the loft, so it'll dry out too. All that's left to process is those joists and some of the peices in the pile.

I want to keep most of that sand too - so less than half of that pile will actually end up in a skip. It's more the brick and hardcore - which is all under that lot and in the front of the garage.

I kept all the feather edge boards that were in good condition, with a bit of work they'd make a good shed.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When I doing stuff i am always surprised how much scrap wood I use, from making profiles around windows when plastering or concreting even down to packers and making wedges - when you have half hour to spare make a bag full of wedges so useful to have around even when doing things like plumbing to support pipes while they are soldered

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

IMG_8616.JPG

It looks like that there is no sleeving where the pipe goes through the wall Joe? maybe I am wrong though. Also I dont understand why push fits have been used in places?

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I haven't sleeved it yet, I'll do that when I insulate. I should be able to pull some old felt pipe wrap through the hole too.

I used a push fit by the gas meter as it was such a tight space, and used another one by the incoming water feed to avoid soldering around that area too.

I'm going to redo that bit by the water feed. It's a right cock up on the bend and I could have soldered the coupler. I rushed into it without thinking.

Just done a click and collect a new pipe bender. Then I'm back outside to denail the timber and clean up the rubbish outside.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Joe - I see you have got your hands full m8.

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I haven't been this busy in a long time.

I miss putting my feet up and staying on the forum for the evening.:oops:

On the plus side, Sos and Kiab will be happy to hear, I've got all the good timber denailed and up in the loft, and I hammered flat the nails in the timber that's going. Most of it fell to peices as I hammered the nail heads down.

Next month and a chunk will be taken off, and going to crack on with this extension. I know a lot of what I do barely passes as acceptable, but this will be a proper job. Well, I have to compeat with Jit's astounding quality of work, so it better be a bloody good job!:D

KIAB likes this.
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its all looking good Joe, and with Sos, Kiab and Jit and others giving advice when needed all is well m8 - particularly agree with the nails in wood. Many years ago on site I remember standing on a piece of wood with a large nail sticking through it, not nice to say the least..and one of the first things I do now is remove nails in wood even if it is going into the skip and not being kept.

I wish you all the best with your projects Joe.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Joe95 likes this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Thanks JP.

Before the madness begins tomorrow, I've got some invoices to finish. Such fun!

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Been a busy two days.
    Finished off some work Tuesday morning, and then got straight home to crack on. The skip was delivered yesterday about midday, and it's already full!

The roof has come off and the shared wall taken out. It was alot more solid than I expected, I started off with the SDS and then about two courses down I pulled out the big guns.
    IMG_8712.JPG

View in from neighbours garage:
    IMG_8718.JPG
    I don't think you can get a better breaker for the money. But it's bloody heavy to hold upright!
    IMG_8713.JPG

Digger arrives tomorrow! Going to start from the back and work to the front. 1.2m deep and 600mm wide foundations. Skip gets swapped early tomorrow.

I will create a thread tomorrow, but I need to be on the desktop to do it properly.

Dr Bodgit likes this.