Protecting 32mm MDPE from fence post backfill

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dan_m2k, Oct 10, 2018.

1. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

Dear hive-mind,

I'm spending this weekend putting in some fencing (if the weather works out) and one of my posts will be very near the new mains water supply which we re-laid in fresh 32mm blue MDPE, which is not in a duct sadly.

To be safe against crushing the pipe with postcrete/backfill - are there any tips of what to use to shield/protect the pipework around the works for the post?

Maybe a short length of ductwork from my local merchant?

Thanks for the advice
    Dan.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent New Member

A bit of concrete surround around hope water pipe is not going to damage it in any way. Try hitting hope with a lump hammer, jumping up and down on it, running your car over it and you will see what I mean

3. Severntrent

Severntrent New Member

Hope=MDPE

4. jimoz

jimoz Member

Severn Trent reckon cement rots mdpe. I've compo'd enough into duct entries on their advice before but now this is the latest one. Cover with a couple ince of sand or ballast before concreting on top. Keep post off bottom of hole if poss.

5. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Did you ask this before? I'm sure I'd replied to this topic a week or two back.

Don't embed the pipe with the fence foundation. Imagine what will happen if the fence moved in a gale, or in future someone tries to pull out the concrete when putting in a new post.

Slide a board in the hole to keep the two separate.