Protecting 32mm MDPE from fence post backfill

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dan_m2k, Oct 10, 2018.

1. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

Dear hive-mind,

I'm spending this weekend putting in some fencing (if the weather works out) and one of my posts will be very near the new mains water supply which we re-laid in fresh 32mm blue MDPE, which is not in a duct sadly.

To be safe against crushing the pipe with postcrete/backfill - are there any tips of what to use to shield/protect the pipework around the works for the post?

Maybe a short length of ductwork from my local merchant?

Thanks for the advice
    Dan.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent New Member

A bit of concrete surround around hope water pipe is not going to damage it in any way. Try hitting hope with a lump hammer, jumping up and down on it, running your car over it and you will see what I mean

3. Severntrent

Severntrent New Member

Hope=MDPE

4. jimoz

jimoz Active Member

Severn Trent reckon cement rots mdpe. I've compo'd enough into duct entries on their advice before but now this is the latest one. Cover with a couple ince of sand or ballast before concreting on top. Keep post off bottom of hole if poss.

5. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Did you ask this before? I'm sure I'd replied to this topic a week or two back.

Don't embed the pipe with the fence foundation. Imagine what will happen if the fence moved in a gale, or in future someone tries to pull out the concrete when putting in a new post.

Slide a board in the hole to keep the two separate.