Protection for new pressure treated fence

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Masueuk, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Masueuk

Masueuk New Member

Hi

We have just had about 32m of pressure treated fence installed. I want to protect it long term so would like advice on how best to do this.

I've been reading about end grain products, preservers and preserving stains, but nowhere have I found a Do this first, then this then that and how often to do it. So if this is your area of expertise, please give me some advice. I know that long lasting systems of protection dont come cheap !

Thanks in advance

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

At the moment being a new fence it has it's optimum protection, you could re=treat all the cut end grains that you can get to otherwise all good for at least 15 - 20 years.

Toolstation sell Barrettine Cut End Timber Preserver @£16.50.

3. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Best advice is make sure it is clear of any damp/wet ground, clear garden debris away from bottom edge etc as that’s where the problems lie. Also the posts (what type have been used) are a weak point as they obviously buried in the ground.

4. Masueuk

Masueuk New Member

Hi

They are all pressure treated posts, the corner posts are 8 foot 4x4 pressure treated, planks are 19x100x1800 and the cross members are 38x100x4800. I'll get some of the end grain preserver. There is no vegetation at the bottom of the fencing, apart from the deer fencing which has woods behind it. They are 10 foot strainers and 8 foot round poles. The corner posts were fixed using gravel, postcrete and cement, though the level above ground doesnt allow for draining down a slope at the bottom. Would it be best to get some cement to build up a run off before the summer is out ? We do get a bit of snow in the winter time. In all its just over 32m of wood fencing with gaps between the planks.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Clear primer preserver after the sun has dried it out then give it a couple of years before you apply fence treatment.
    That primer preserver works really well

6. Masueuk

Masueuk New Member

Hi Wayners, what is the product name for primer preserver ?

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

8. Masueuk

Masueuk New Member

Thanks. The Data sheet looks scary. Would definitely need to be well prepared with sheets under the fence in case it gets into ground water (we live with a private water supply which I think goes into a large pond with fish) but other than that, looks great.

Wayners likes this.