Protruding Spandrel in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AntoniaM, Sep 14, 2021.

1. AntoniaM

AntoniaM New Member

Hello,

I’m hoping someone might be able to give some advice on our staircase which protrudes into our kitchen.

We purchased the house in May and are currently in the process of renovating however, this is really bugging me. The previous owners had a massive box (some might say excessive) covering the twist of the staircase in the kitchen.

We have removed the box and are making do with the current image attached but I’m not sure if everything in that area is necessary? E.g. the hanging bits of wood. I can provide more images if it would help.

We’re having a new heating system installed next month so the pipe will be going and our future extractor fan will be elsewhere so the plug etc. Will not be there either. The ceiling will also be lowered slightly which should help disguise.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stairs 1.PNG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

All the thin plywood-looking timber and boxing in is non-structural and can be removed. Only the stair timbers themselves need to stay.