PTFE or not????

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by wizwoz, Mar 28, 2010.

1. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

When I fit a kitchen I have to put iso's on the tails for the taps.. One plumber says ptfe tape isn't neccessary., another uses jointing compound.. What is the definitive way of fitting iso valves???

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

No compounds are needed at all. BUT it will not hurt to smear LSX or other jointing compound on the olives if you are a DIY'er lacking in confidence.

3. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Cheers GB. Not exactly a DIYer..but when it comes to plumbing I'm a good joiner! I have to plumb the taps/apps. etc. So you reckon to smear the olive as opposed to the thread?.. never heard of that one. Does the same apply to washing machine valves?

4. no comment

no comment New Member

lots of good plumbers on this forum bit g brown you do tend to come across as a poor end plumber. giving bad advise constantly. no sealant on any metal to metal pipes is complete borrocks if you dont use sealant you will need ot overtighted the fitting cousing the next plumber problems. diyer decides to fit his own gas hob mr g brown said dont have to use sealant any time. iso,s on towel rails total borroks. good plumbers dont need then extra joints not needed.... all compresion joints should be sealed...fof n fed ur horse

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

The question was about isolating valves. There are no threaded joints on isolating valves as they have a compression joint each end. So no compounds are needed.

If the OP meant "service" valve then he may be asking about the connection to the tap with the FI joint? If so no compound is needed there but many people do use it and it will do no harm. The fibre or rubber washer is of course essential to make this joint.

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

From CONEX:

"jointing compounds and sealants are not required as Conex compression joint makes a metal x metal seal. FIbre washers are used to create permanent watertight seals on union joints"

Only cowboys and DIY'ers NEED to use compounds ;)

No harm if thats your style

7. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Beat me to it, Gord. I was looking for same quote. In fact sometimes compounds make it HARDER for next guy. I do, however, thnk your idea of iso valves AND rad. valves is nuts.

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

Or pros if it's the only way to seal ;) I've had the odd situation where it was impossible to get accuracy lining up pipes due to no space. If not well aligned the olive can weep, so a smear of LSX will cure it. But even then you're sealing the olive and not the thread.

9. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I was taught to fit isos on towel rails. I remember my instructor at college saying they are a right pain to drain down if you don't, there must be hundreds of plumbers who trained at Cardiff still doing it to this day so it can't be that far wrong!

10. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

obviously an odd WELSH custom, amongst a few others!

A rad. valve IS sn isolaton valve!

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

aye but you have to drain the towel rail to get the water out which can be a right messy business. By fitting an iso to you can carry the full towel rail outside to empty it. That's the theory anyways!

12. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Wizwaz you add compound to the olive as that is where the seal is made not the thread. I don't use anything unless like Imran says alignment is problematic.

13. no comment

no comment New Member

most good plumbers cary cold feed n vent cap to vacume system so no drain down just cap cf n vent most jobs can be done without iso valves ...f n r valves all u need. individul choice to use boss or lsx .. seal all joints. i dont very often get recalls for comp joints weeping...do you ?..i dont give bad advise to diyers either. as for finding quote get a life in the real world you cover your back not read a book..

14. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Missing an hours sleep?

Cheer up mate, lifes too short to be a permanent misery guts!

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No need for any compounds.

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I was always taught to fit them when floor feeds go up into any vertical radiator, it makes draining and removal simple.

Or you can bung/snatch on a nice fluffy white bathroom carpet ;)

17. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I'm not really a fan of iso' valves.
    I mean they sit there for years and years then when you finally need them they don't work and start leaking from the turnscrew.

However I do like to use a smear of jointing compound around the olive (it's not essential on brass) it helps to seal and lubricate the joint.
    On chrome compression joints though - it's an absolute necessity.
    Tappy,

18. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Maybe a toms-tip here!
    A plumber that I know always fits his drain off tap into an isolation valve.
    The idea being if the drain tap doesn't work you can easily isolate and deal with it.
    Tappy,

19. Guest

Tom started off sprinting but now is at a snails pace he just likes showing off his van

20. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Thanks for the input gents. Consencus seems to be not neccessary unless the fit of the olive is compromised. Will take it on board. (Don't know how we got onto towel rails lol).
    Cheers.