pull cord works sometimes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by adam247886532, Apr 2, 2024.

1. adam247886532

adam247886532 New Member

and so electric shower works spontaneously. circuit breakers aren't triggered, bathroom and all other lights/outlets work fine.

red light on the shower will switch on sometimes or be on very dimly.

red light on the pull cord is off but again it sometimes will still switch on and the shower works again

pulling the cord a few times sometimes works to "fix" it but very inconsistent.

just wondering if this is something i can sort myself or if i should get a sparkie round

cheers

2. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Most likely either a slack connection at pull cord or faulty pull cord switch, maybe a slack connection at shower but by your description it is most likely at the switch.
    A lot of people operate the pull cord on and off at every shower which is not required as it is there for shower maintenance purposes.
    As to wether you can repair it or not is purely down to your capabilities and hard for us to judge over Internet.
    If you do need to change switch then my favourite is Crabtree.
    Pull cords can be a bit of a finger workout getting the cables dressed in neatly if you are not used to it. Connections have to be proper tight not limp waisted tight for these high current loads.
    Open the switch up and take a pic, post it up here and see what you think, bet one of the cable ends is all melted.

3. malbec4

malbec4 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the old neutral burn up at the pull switch. Probably best to get an electrician out as suggested by @Roys.

4. adam247886532

adam247886532 New Member

thanks for your reply

right so if i open it up to take a picture, should i switch all the power off first? or is it safe.

if i decided to try and fix it, will i need a voltage tester?

thanks again x

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Switch off first. If there is a loose connection it may pop out of the terminal.

adam247886532 likes this.
  6. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Always good practice to isolate before you go sticking your grubby :) fingers anywhere near it, you just don’t know what is going to jump out at you, especially as we suspect a slack connection there.
    As a sparky we would prove dead with test equipment as a DIYer..............? Plus pointless having test equipment if you don’t know how to use it.
    As I say I think you are going to open up this pull cord and you will see a burnt cable end, I have no idea if you have the abilities repair it.

adam247886532 likes this.
  7. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

And if there’s been a loose connection and the cable needs cut back and re-terminated, you’ll need to see whether there’s some slack to allow that. Given that it’s an electric shower, it’s fair to assume that it’s probably 6mm or maybe even 10mm cable which is a bit more difficult to extend / terminate if that’s what needed. I’m not trying to put you off if you do know what you’re doing !

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And a new switch fitted.