Pulsing water flow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TartanRug, Mar 6, 2021.

1. TartanRug

TartanRug New Member

Hi,

I've posted about this problem before but now it's come back again...

When the toilet is refilling or tap water is on it seems to be pulsing (i.e. flowing fast and slightly slower) and you can hear the pulsing through the pipes clearly when listening next to the water tank.

As a member suggested last time I tried turning the stop cock down to half on then turn it back to full on (or near full on) and the problem went away, however after a few weeks it has returned. When I turn the stop cock down so it is only half on, the problem goes away however this leaves the water pressure quite low, when I turn it back fully on the pulsing returns. Any idea what the root cause of this is and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Did you change the diaphragm in the fill valve while you were trying to sort it out last time?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Replace stop tap. That's the first thing to do

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Agree with Wayners. Thought it only happened with your toilet.

5. TartanRug

TartanRug New Member

Didn't change anything last time, just turned stop cock to half on then back to fully on and it sorted problem. Doing that this time doesn't fix it though

6. TartanRug

TartanRug New Member

Thanks, will have a look into doing that

Wayners likes this.