Pump causing sewage smell from drains

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kris@123, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Kris@123

Kris@123 New Member

I really hope someone can help me. Our new build is below street level so we had to install a pump to pump the sewage and water up into the main drains. Our plumber installed regular fittings instead of anti vac ones and we now have a smell of sewage coming from the shower and basins. Seems the pump is sucking the water out of all the pipes as there is a cold draft coming out of the shower drains and basins. Anti vac pipes were installed to the basins but the pump still seems to suck them and there’s still a smell. A dirgo valve was installed and made no difference. Is there a way to rectify it? Can fix the shower smell without pulling up the shower? The bathrooms are finished with expensive tiling so I’m hoping to find a way to fix it without pulling the showers apart. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Why is this your problem, get the plumber back pronto, and if you have not yet paid, withhold payment until the issue is resolved.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Sowhere does this pump sit/operate from. Is it in a dedicated sump that all the waste flow to. What type of pump is it.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The system should have a reservoir that everything drains into. Then, when the reservoir reaches its max height, the evacuation pump should start up, and empty it out until it reaches its min height.
    The reservoir should have its own breather (typically an air admittance valve to keep the smells in the reservoir, but still allow air in).
    Either the AAV is stuck and the only way for the reservoir to draw air in is via the house, or the plumber forgot to install one and the pump has always drawn air in from the house, thus emptying the traps.

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Let's start with the make and model of the pump and I presume it deals with everything in the property yes?