Pump pliers

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sfmanus, Oct 14, 2019.

1. sfmanus

sfmanus Member

My pump pliers make me angry every time I use them. Because I’ve only occasionally used them until recently I hadn’t realised how terrible they actually are.

I’ve still got a fair bit of plumbing work to do and wanted to get a pair that don’t slip every time I squeeze the handles.

I’m not in the trade but I want a pair that will last and I’d actually enjoy using.

Any suggestions?

2. KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bahco +1, excellent slip joints,got a several pairs of them.

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

What do you use your pump pliers on?
    Really only for rough work - like removing an old fitting that needs replaced, etc.
    I have 10” Lucas Elliott pump pliers very similar to Rothenberger type and just for smallish diameter work.
    Also take a look at Footprint wrenches. British made and very versatile. Can be bought in 6”, 7”, 9” etc and can be thumbwheel adjustment or removable bolt for different holes to adjust.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Pump pliers arejust that,maybe consider channel lock pliers (parallel jaw type) there american :rolleyes:

This 300mm version use wefwefew.jpg has offered excellent use for nearly 20 years,yes there surface rusty but thats something to do with the job

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Love my pump pliers. (Rothenberger)
    But hate when using someone else’s. They just don’t feel or work the same.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  8. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I use American Ridgid ones. They're really well made. There's a few types, but have a search on Amazon.