Pump speed control broken

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sam spade, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

I have a Grundfos Selectric 15/50 and the speed control is broken, i.e it does not change speed. I removed the black cover and found that the plastic shaft, which connects the control knob to the switch inside has sheared off.

The rest of the control is held in place by some screws under the back cover.

Does anyone know if it is safe to undo these screws and remove the controller. I don't want to have water gushing out of the pump.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

turn the valves off either side and try it,:rolleyes:

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If its bust just change it. You will find however that the old 15/50's and 15/60's are now no longer available they have fallen to the same fate as the old lightbulbs you can however get an energy efficient replacement. Having said that why do you need to change the speed, once set up by your plumber it shouldn't need to be touched, by doing so could result in either a slow system or pumping over.

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

I was hoping you would reply, as I saw your recent reply/video about releasing a jammed pump and hoped you might have experience of removing the controller.

Yes, I could try turning the valves off, but if they won't turn or they leak .....

As for why I need to change the speed: because it's on 3 and should be on 2.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi sam, I've never took the plastic wiring part apart so I don't know if it would leak when you take the screws out so if I were to try and find out I'd, put a hose on a drain off and have all the tools ready for a drain down if needed, then shut the valves either side and go for it, if the worse thing happened I'd wrap a towel round the pump and drain down, it it got to that point then I'd buy a new pump and valves, :)

6. IT WON'T BLUDY LEAK WATER 'COS IT'S THE LECCY PART AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WATER PART WOT IS SEPARATE AND STUFF.

But, it will leak electricity - right through your body and into the ground.

Unless you make sure it's turned off.

7. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused: