Push button flush needs 2 pushes to work

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Czar, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Czar

Czar New Member

Hi,

Total novice, so please be patient :)

I have a GROHE push button flush. It always requires 2 pushes to work. The first push feels like there is no "resistance". The second one then seems to find "resistance" and operate the flush.

Not a big deal, but a bit annoying. I am wondering if maybe something isn't fitted properly? I know there are some of these plastic tubes, could they be broken? So air escapes?

Thanks

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Yes that is possible, if you know how to remove the push button then do so and see how tight the plastic tubes are on the spigots (back of button). Should they be easy to remove then one trick is to cut off 5mm and refit the tubes. The other thing is that the bellows inside the flush button can weaken so simply replace the flush button assembly completely if you can`t buy the bellows on their own.

3. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Is it a single plate about 200x160? If so, to remove it, you push it to the left about 5mm and then lift the left edge and it will come away.

4. Czar

Czar New Member

I took the plate off. The tube that attaches to the buttons sits tightly. The end of the long tube goes in under the waterline. Doesn't seem to move about there either. The cover looks similar to this...

upload_2020-7-31_12-18-48.png

5. just pumps

That tube that goes under the waterline is attached to the flush valve, treat it with care as it can be a PITA to reattach on some valves.

6. Czar

Czar New Member

I haven't pulled it off. But as it is. below waterline + very hard to reach, I am not sure how to check if their might be a hole somewhere

7. just pumps

Very unlikely to be holed, far more likely to be the bellows now you have checked the tubes on the spigots.

8. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

hi
    quite often, you can remove the flush mechanism, by a quater turn, and remove to see whats what

good luck
    peter

9. robgul

robgul Active Member

Same problem here with a concealed Grohe cistern - it simply does not work! Replaced bellows and a seal, still no good. Decided to cut my losses and fit a cheap and cheerful concealed cistern still with an air push but direct rather than the, IMHO, stupid plastic bellows to activate. Cistern is about £48 at Screwfix .... I found the same product in B&Q for £35. Easy to fit.

10. Czar

Czar New Member

Hm... would I need someone to remove the tiles and fit the thing into the wall, then retile?

11. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

If it is a Grohe cistern behind and it is installed correctly, then removal of the plate should allow full access to change the mechanism. Taking tiles off and changing the cistern is a major job and unless you have spare tiles could be costly and always visible

12. robgul

robgul Active Member

. . . . it amazes me how when people install cisterns, or indeed anyhting concealed, they don't think ahead and fit removable panels to deal with any issues down the line.

13. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have two Grohe push-button dual flush systems, almost identical to yours. Ever since I installed them they required either two slow soft pushes or one fast forceful push. One is in the bathroom used by my 94 year old mother when she comes to visit us, and even she has now learned to do the fast forceful flush, and it works almost every time for her.
    The fact that it is like that on both toilets makes me think that that is just how they are, and that changing them is unlikely to change anything, but, knowing Grohe spares, will cost you a fortune in experimenting.

WillyEckerslike and just pumps like this.
  14. David Grahame

David Grahame New Member

Hi all new to the group, lurked for a while.

I've recently had the same problem as the op, turns out some cisterns are factory set to half flush lol.... who knew?

Easily adjustable to full flush.

Discovered this on my daughters new bathroom...... after changing the push button etc lol

I'll always check before fitting them in the future