Pushfit connection to washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mbrijun, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mbrijun

mbrijun Member

Hi, I am looking for some advice on how to best connect a pushfit system to a washing machine. A PEX pipe is flexible and even with talon grips screwed down to the wall it bends under the weight of the washing machine hose. From what I read, side loads are a "no no" to pushfit connectors, so even a copper pipe would not help much. I could not find a 3/4 BSP pushfit wallplate, that would be ideal in this case.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Bit of 15mm copper into washing machine valve (which incorporate a non return valve btw) clipped to wall with two clips, and a push-fit coupler with appropriate insert to connect back to the plastic.

3. mbrijun

mbrijun Member

While experimenting I came to the same conclusion as you that the last bit of pipe before the WM must be copper.

In your advice, did you have a compression or a speedfit valve in mind? I ended up fitting a compression fitting, which seems to be much more tolerant to side loads (the weight of the WM hose in this case).

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I always go for compression personally. Copper olive and a turn of PTFE around the olive always works for me.

5. FraserD

FraserD Member

Isn't tape around an olive not only unnecessary but can also stop the olive compressing correctly?

Not a criticism, just a question.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I've never had a problem, I tried paste but never get on with it. TBH the brass olives are really soft so it's easy to over tighten them into a squashed mess.

7. FraserD

FraserD Member

Thanks, never used paste or tape.

8. PTFE tape on a compression fitting is a bodge and also looks a bodge, if anything is to be used a smear of paste is all that is required.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

One paste I do quite like is LS-X