Putting down a sub base for paving stones without digging out

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by MKDecker, Oct 11, 2021.

1. MKDecker

MKDecker New Member

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice please about putting down a sub base prior to laying some paving stones.

My problem is that my ground starting point is already quite low, so instead of digging out more earth to lay 50mm of type 1, I want to put the type 1 on top of the earth that is already there, and then whacker that down before putting 90cm x 45cm pavers down in a line, spaced about 20 cm apart.

Obviously unless I contain the sub-base material it won't compact properly.
    Can I build a wooden subframe to act as a container for the hardcore whilst I whack it down and lay the slabs, and then remove it when job done? I'll be filling the gaps with cotswold stone chippings level with the pavers.

If the wooden subframe idea is no good, am I going to need something more permanent to keep the sub-base contained, like bricks? I am trying not to over-engineer this so would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

I've attached a couple of images to show the problem. The problem area is the bit lower down next to the decking after the step.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files: