Putting the Heat in to an argument about NI.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Allsorts, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Marr is wrong, there is no such WTO rule. May should have known that rather than be wrong footed by someone who clearly hasn't done his research.

PhilSo likes this.
  3. Allsorts

If you say so, Filly.

If you like so, PhilSo.

4. fillyboy

You're more than welcome to try and prove me wrong, of course, you can't, so you're restricted to glib comments and saying 'stuff'.

5. Allsorts

You are more than welcome to say anything you like Filly, as always.

Even a Mr Ha 'prove me wrong'.

6. fillyboy

I rest my case.

longboat likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I bought this up ages ago.
    Where is the border going to be?
    The u/s can't answer but will no doubt jerk themselves into a coma proving otherwise.

8. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Border will remain the same.
    The rest of the supposed solutions are just posturing by some politicians and from some media stories.

9. Allsorts

Phew - that's ok then.

And this guy lives in NI and is utterly blasé about the possible consequences.

The u-s are an incredible bunch - the wee beastie drives them. It's all that matters.

It's the wee beastie inside many humans that have allowed every act of carnage and atrocity to occur over the history of the human race. And it still exists.

10. Allsorts

I think the border is going to end up passing right between their ears.

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Only in your mind DA. The way you word things, you’d swear WW3 is going to break out in Europe the day after we finally leave.

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep you reckon the EU has no borders ? Tell me where do British made goods and consumables get checked that they meet EU standards? They get checked in this country, before they leave,,, and you can bet your last pound, they also get checked where they arrive. Borderless ma botty ( to quote your friend)

13. Allsorts

Honestly, JJ - it's in your mind.

As your pal, your fav plumber.

14. Allsorts

Delusional ignorance.

15. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Border has to exist as it is in NI.
    The only real change being attempted with the border is by the EU.
    All sides without exception agree on no hard border.
    (Begs the question, - Why do some politicians such as in R.O.I. plus the anti Brexit in U.K. keep repeating they will not accept a hard border?)

To put a border down the Irish Sea would be ridiculous and shows how little the EU understand or care about NI or rest of U.K.
    A free trade area would be a possibility but the EU will not allow it I think

16. Allsorts

Yes, a free-flowing border exists betwixt the Repub and NI (the UK).

Because we are both in the EU.

Britain reckons it wants to Leave the EU, and you claim - with the usual utter crassness - that the only real change is being attempted by the EU.

Who do you think you are kidding.

What on earth are you on.

What you are saying is absurd.

This is a self-inflicted wound, and any resulting damage will have been caused by those who pulled the trigger.

(Possibly a very unfortunate choice of phrase in the circumstances)

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

From my point of view in England, I don't care if their is a border or not. It is the EU that are insisting on a border to prevent any 'Back door' deals with trade and avoiding tariffs that would otherwise go to the EU coffers. Simply put, the issue is this.
    Hard Border, The Ulster Unionists will throw a strop and take their ball, and their support for the Tories, home. May is forced into a General Election as she has no overall majority in the house.
    No border, the EU will not accept it and will then place their own hard border across Ireland. See the first point.

18. fillyboy

Back to the original post on this thread, Andrew Marr told Theresa May that if we leave under WTO rules, that means a hard border because that's what the WTO rules state, they don't, there is no WTO rule stating a border is required anywhere. The WTO is all about facilitating trade and lowering tariffs, they don't get involved in borders, they're happy for all countries to have open borders.
    The only potential sticking point under WTO rules is that if we have an open border with Ireland (EU), ie, no customs controls, then we should have the same open border system with any other country we strike a trade deal with, it would come under their 'non discrimination' rule, all trading partners should be treated equally.
    However, a waiver could be applied for in the case of Ireland under security exception clauses such as article 21 of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.
    So, Marr was wrong, DA was wrong, but Theresa May really should have known better, I doubt The Moggster would have been tripped up by this.

longboat likes this.
  19. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Just because we have the Brexit vote, I repeat, does not mean there is a difference of opinion on hard borders with the NI parties.

We need to maintain free flowing borders within the U.K. and if the EU think different, then they are being absurd.

20. fillyboy

There was a free flowing border before we joined the EU, there was also freedom of movement, both my parents and my wifes parents came over from the Republic, no visas, no questions, no EU.